Custom raster support allowing users to work in any raster in any format up to 8K and AVC-I, ProRes, XAVC-I and XF-AVC native high-resolution playback are all added to the latest version of Avid’s editing package.
While the name dates all the way back to the dawn of non linear editing and the first release form the company for the Macintosh II back in 1989, the current incarnation of Media Composer is now almost a dozen years old and even the latest v8 has over a year under its belt. That makes it enviably robust, especially in an environment when the Burlington dev teams are still able to add features to the software.
Much of the new release is all about working at higher resolutions, hence the custom raster support and the ability to mix and match high-resolution media in the timeline. But there’s some interesting other bits and pieces in there too, including access to the same AAX presets as with Pro Tools, and the ability to now use Media Composer software and Media Composer | Cloud workflows on a single system.
Availability is immediate. Press release after the break.
Avid Everywhere Brings Avid Resolution Independence to Life in the Latest Version of the Industry’s Preeminent Editing Solution
Available now, enhancements to Avid Media Composer facilitate fast, efficient and collaborative workflows, enabling editors to deliver high-quality results
Burlington, MA, July 8, 2015 – Avid® (Nasdaq: AVID) today announced that the latest version of the industry’s most proven editing software, Avid Media Composer®, is now available. Part of the Avid Artist Suite, powered by the Avid MediaCentral Platform, Media Composer 8.4 delivers accelerated high-resolution workflows, facilitates real-time collaboration, and frees editors from time-consuming background tasks.
“Today's video professionals need to be able to handle whatever media walks in the door, ingest that media, edit it, and deliver a master for distribution,” said Charlie Russell, senior segment marketing manager, Avid. “Increasingly, the media they need to work with is greater-than-HD: 2K, 4K and Ultra HD. With the latest version of Media Composer, editors and assistants will be able to handle this high-resolution media, while leveraging their existing HD infrastructure.”
New Media Composer 8.4 features include:
• Custom raster support – Bringing Avid Resolution Independence to life, users can work with any raster up to 8K, in any format.
• AVC-I, ProRes, XAVC-I and XF-AVC native high-resolution playback – Optimized performance for Apple ProRes, Canon XF-AVC, Panasonic AVC-I and Sony XAVC-I gives users the flexibility to mix and match high-resolution media in the timeline, from DNxHR to other popular formats, and edit with smooth real-time playback.
• AAX factory presets – With Media Composer 8.4, users have access to the same AAX presets as with Pro Tools®.
• Enhanced closed captioning– Users can see closed caption timing in the timeline to avoid breaking captions, and can view captions on external monitors as well as in the interface.
• Alpha channel support for QuickTime-wrapped Avid DNxHR™ – Users can now enhance their graphics, effects and compositing workflows when working with QuickTime applications.
• Media Composer | Cloud with dynamic media folders and background services – Customers can use Media Composer software and Media Composer | Cloud workflows on a single system, including remote cloud-based editing while simultaneously performing background uploading, rendering, consolidating, or transcoding.
Media Composer 8.4 is now available for download online and through authorized Avid resellers.