Tuesday 19 Jun 2018
You can now do full professional editing on an iPhone or iPad. Here's our review
Review: LumaFusion from Luma Touch is positioning itself as the most powerful editing system for mobile devices yet seen. We take a look and tap into its potential.
Monday 18 Jun 2018
We find some hidden gems at London's Media Production Show
The Production Show in London is one of the major events on the UK calendar. Phil Rhodes went walkabout there and here's what he found.
Monday 18 Jun 2018
Kinefinity MAVO: everything you need to know
Kinefinity is a company that is slowly, but surely making a name for itself in the world of indie filmmaking. From an unknown Chinese startup, the company is now producing some very well regarded products. The latest of these is the MAVO Cine Camera.
Monday 18 Jun 2018
The Sony DCR-VX1000 changed broadcast documentary production forever
Sony's DCR-VX1000 was truly revolutionary for its time. We look back on the original DV camera and its effect on broadcasters, particularly at the BBC.
Sunday 17 Jun 2018
We are a big step closer to sci-fi like floating video hologram displays
The cinema dream of the hologram promised in Star Wars, Iron Man, and Minority Report is being chased hard by numerous developers – among them Lightfield Labs and Leia Inc.
Tuesday 5 Jun 2018
New Sony Compact RX 100 MK VI is so good it may be used to shoot on Avatar sequels
Sony has done it again with another new bombshell in the form of the RX100 VI, a seemingly vastly improved version of an already very capable little camera.
- Monday 4 Jun 2018 Hands on report: shooting video with the Hasselblad H6D-100C
- Wednesday 30 May 2018 Panasonic's AU-EVA1 is a superb budget cinema camera
- Monday 9 Apr 2018 The 4K Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, quite probably, changes everything!
- Monday 26 Mar 2018 RED GEMINI: A low light monster unleashed
Post & VFX
Friday 15 Jun 2018
Stock motion graphics can turbocharge your productions [sponsored]
Motion graphics add a fluid, professional, and engaging touch to any production. Most of all, they make your content look great. And now that they’re available as templates from Adobe Stock, you’ll be up-to-speed with them in no time.
- Wednesday 13 Jun 2018 Here is a greatly simplified explanation of Raw and Log video
- Sunday 3 Jun 2018 Frame.io adds super high resolution image collaboration
- Thursday 31 May 2018 HDR and RAW video greatly simplified
- Tuesday 29 May 2018 Don't miss the Manhattan Edit Workshop Sight, Sound & Story event on June 14th in NYC!
Tuesday 24 Apr 2018
This could be good news for anyone who uses photo sharing sites
SmugMug vows to refocus Flickr from clicks to community.
- Friday 20 Apr 2018 Planning your first trip to Cannes? Here’s what you need to know
- Tuesday 3 Apr 2018 Using Sony Pro FS5 or FS7 cameras? Win a 32GB SDHC card by entering our survey!
- Tuesday 13 Feb 2018 Are RED and Foxconn teaming up to produce affordable 8K cinema cameras?
- Monday 12 Feb 2018 New distribution deal for Atomos in North America means better service and support
Tuesday 19 Jun 2018
Atomos makes the advantages of ProRes RAW clear
ProRes RAW is a hot topic right now. When we caught up with the guys from Atomos at Cinegear 2018 they spelled out the advantages for us.
- Tuesday 19 Jun 2018 You can now do full professional editing on an iPhone or iPad. Here's our review
- Monday 18 Jun 2018 We find some hidden gems at London's Media Production Show
- Monday 18 Jun 2018 Kinefinity MAVO: everything you need to know
- Monday 18 Jun 2018 The Sony DCR-VX1000 changed broadcast documentary production forever
Technology & Computing
Saturday 16 Jun 2018
Understanding ISO: In digital cameras, it's not what you think it is
RedShark Replay: ISO ratings made perfect sense in the days of photochemical film but only serve to muddy the waters when it comes to assessing camera performance in the digital age.
- Monday 11 Jun 2018 PC makers plan 5G modems to enable incredibly fast computing on the go
- Monday 11 Jun 2018 Video data is doubling every few years. How do you keep up with it? [sponsored]
- Sunday 10 Jun 2018 Threadripper 2nd gen: AMD's new CPUs double the core count
- Friday 8 Jun 2018 CGI face manipulation has reached a frightening level of realism
Studio & Broadcast
Saturday 2 Jun 2018
The new Sony Bravia ad makes us all emotional
Spec sheets might sell to geeks, but for the rest of us, it's emotions that make us buy. And that's what Sony's always done with their Bravia advertisements. This latest one really hits the spot.
- Friday 18 May 2018 D-VHS: This is how your HD film collection might have been
- Wednesday 14 Feb 2018 BoxCaster - a streaming system with simplicity at its core
- Sunday 21 Jan 2018 HDR: de-confusing the standards
- Saturday 2 Dec 2017 The enduring and mysterious legacy of Max Headroom
- Saturday 16 Jun 2018 - (54246) Understanding ISO: In digital cameras, it's not what you think it is
- Tuesday 5 Jun 2018 - (9717) New Sony Compact RX 100 MK VI is so good it may be used to shoot on Avatar sequels
- Wednesday 13 Jun 2018 - (5490) Here is a greatly simplified explanation of Raw and Log video
- Friday 8 Jun 2018 - (5155) CGI face manipulation has reached a frightening level of realism
- Thursday 14 Jun 2018 - (4863) The surprising return of the professional cassette deck
- Tuesday 19 Jun 2018 - (362) Atomos makes the advantages of ProRes RAW clear
- Tuesday 19 Jun 2018 - (2535) You can now do full professional editing on an iPhone or iPad. Here's our review
- Monday 18 Jun 2018 - (1104) We find some hidden gems at London's Media Production Show
- Monday 18 Jun 2018 - (3451) Kinefinity MAVO: everything you need to know
- Monday 18 Jun 2018 - (1658) The Sony DCR-VX1000 changed broadcast documentary production forever
3D 4K 8K Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Blackmagic Design Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography Digital Bolex DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro Grading HDR Intel LED lenses Lighting Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic ProRes Raw RED RedShark Review Samsung Sensor Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video