Monday 24 Jul 2017
Filmmakers love retro lenses... how about retro cameras?
From vinyl to phones to lenses… to borrow a cliche: retro is in many ways the new black. But how far can we take this? Is there a market for a retro camera? ...
Monday 24 Jul 2017
Sony FS5 update adds ability to change minimum ISO and more
Sony gives the little FS5 a load of love with a new firmware update with three really exciting new features for the camera.
Monday 24 Jul 2017
Are we at the tipping point where flash memory is the new normal?
There have been plenty of changes in the field of flash storage recently, with some ranges disappearing entirely while other, new ones edge into the market. Are we transitioning to a new status quo? ...
Sunday 23 Jul 2017
Lumu Power: an impressively accurate iOS light meter
RedShark Review: Slovenia’s Lumulabs is a small operation that develops the Lumu Power light meter, a hardware sensor combined with an iOS app. It has a fast-response silicon photo diode and true colour sensor in one package.
Saturday 22 Jul 2017
Steadicam: The device that changed filmmaking forever
RedShark Replay: Over forty years ago, Garret Brown came up with an unwieldy looking invention that promised to provide silky smooth shots without the use of dollies. Still at the top of its game and blurring the lines between art and science four decades later, the Steadicam — and the Steadicam operator — was born.
Monday 22 May 2017
It really is time to stop talking about UHD
The term UHD doesn't help anyone… There’s no big revelation here. No massive paradigm change in technology. No seismic shift in our understanding of the universe. Just a slowly dawning realisation that something I’ve been saying for a long time has just been proved to me without a doubt.
- Thursday 18 May 2017 AMD Ryzen Threadripper: 16-core monster coming this summer
- Wednesday 17 May 2017 Intel preps to launch Core i9, its first new processor line in years
- Friday 5 May 2017 What's going on at Canon? To understand, look at the EOS C700
- Saturday 29 Apr 2017 RedShark Awards winners for NAB 2017
Post & VFX
Tuesday 18 Jul 2017
The Last Jedi & practical effects
Watching this well-wrapped camera operator and their equally well-wrapped camera get doused in a torrent of red liquid, you realise that the latest behind the scenes video for Star Wars Episode 8 shows that it's going to be all about the large scale practical effects.
- Friday 14 Jul 2017 Affinity Photo iPad: another lower cost alternative for stills editing
- Friday 7 Jul 2017 Pond5 Premiere Pro Plugin reviewed
- Tuesday 4 Jul 2017 One day all workflows might be like this
- Tuesday 4 Jul 2017 Avid Media Composer | First - first impressions
Thursday 20 Jul 2017
Samsung launches HDR LED cinema screen
With projection technologies increasingly under examination, Samsung’s first installation of a 10.3m LED cinema screen in South Korea could demonstrate a new direction forward.
- Sunday 25 Jun 2017 Can we have content that is both user-generated and high-end?
- Thursday 1 Jun 2017 KitSplit makes your camera gear work harder for you [sponsored]
- Friday 19 May 2017 RedShark West Coast writers wanted
- Wednesday 10 May 2017 Why do we have a strange attitude to new stuff like the Amazon Echo Show?
Tuesday 25 Jul 2017
Canon’s CN-E 18-80mm: a lot of lens for the money
RedShark Review: While it’s tempting to think that glass is glass, the price/performance of the Canon CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 - 4K EF Servo zoom lens shows how evolution in the lens field is accelerating.
- Monday 24 Jul 2017 Filmmakers love retro lenses... how about retro cameras?
- Monday 24 Jul 2017 Sony FS5 update adds ability to change minimum ISO and more
- Monday 24 Jul 2017 Are we at the tipping point where flash memory is the new normal?
- Sunday 23 Jul 2017 Lumu Power: an impressively accurate iOS light meter
Technology & Computing
Friday 21 Jul 2017
SIGGRAPH 2017 preview - moving beyond the flat screen
If the content schedule at this year’s SIGGRAPH is anything to go by, it looks like rumours of VR’s death, or at least its entering into a proto-zombie state, are a bit premature.
- Thursday 20 Jul 2017 Why the Moon landing was not a hoax filmed in slow motion
- Tuesday 18 Jul 2017 The real purpose of the RED Hydrogen smartphone
- Saturday 15 Jul 2017 Why put a camera on your shoulder?
- Friday 14 Jul 2017 Encryption: It's not just for governments, it's for everybody
Studio & Broadcast
Wednesday 8 Mar 2017
HDR: de-confusing the standards
For a new technology that looks set to be deployed without any damaging format wars, there is still plenty of confusion regarding HDR standards and what you should be looking for when thinking of purchasing a new TV set. Here’s the information you need.
- Sunday 5 Mar 2017 61 years ago the biggest industry advance ever was revealed at NAB
- Monday 6 Feb 2017 Blackmagic just made broadcasting cheaper and easier
- Thursday 2 Feb 2017 Some handy tips for your first live TV show
- Monday 9 Jan 2017 Wafer-thin OLEDs and HDR were this year’s CES TV advances
- Saturday 15 Jul 2017 - (20528) Why put a camera on your shoulder?
- Tuesday 18 Jul 2017 - (11333) The real purpose of the RED Hydrogen smartphone
- Saturday 22 Jul 2017 - (10922) Steadicam: The device that changed filmmaking forever
- Thursday 20 Jul 2017 - (9034) Samsung launches HDR LED cinema screen
- Thursday 20 Jul 2017 - (8296) Why the Moon landing was not a hoax filmed in slow motion
- Tuesday 25 Jul 2017 - (526) Canon’s CN-E 18-80mm: a lot of lens for the money
- Monday 24 Jul 2017 - (446) Filmmakers love retro lenses... how about retro cameras?
- Monday 24 Jul 2017 - (1436) Sony FS5 update adds ability to change minimum ISO and more
- Monday 24 Jul 2017 - (1567) Are we at the tipping point where flash memory is the new normal?
- Sunday 23 Jul 2017 - (2142) Lumu Power: an impressively accurate iOS light meter
3D 4K 8K Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography Digital Bolex DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro Grading HD HDR IBC iPhone LED lenses Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic production ProRes Raw RED Review Samsung Sensor Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video