AJA has added the Io 4K Plus a Thunderbolt 3 device to its capture and output range, while simultaneously updating the software for its family of KONA and Io products to v14.
The $2495 Io 4K Plus is an interesting looking unit that makes the most of Thunderbolt 3 connectivity to provide portable 4K and HD/SD capture and playback while maintaining backwards compatibility with Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 hosts.
Providing realtime 4K/UltraHD to 2K/HD down-conversion for both monitoring and output, the unit inevitably really comes into its own with the Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. This features 12G-SDI and HDMI 2.0 I/O for 4K and 2K/HD/SD with HFR support up to 60p at 4:2:2, as well as 8-, 10- and 12-bit 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 over 12G-SDI or HDMI 2.0 workflow support. Not content with just one T3 port either, two allow up to six Thunderbolt devices to be daisy-chained.
Featuring support for Premiere Pro, FCP X and Media Composer, among other standard creative tools, audio is looked after with 6-channel embedded SDI; 8-channel embedded HDMI; 4-channel analog audio In and 4-channel audio Out via XLR break-out
One of the main tasks of the new Desktop Software v14 is to introduce support for the Io 4K Plus, but it has some nice new features for existing AJA KONA and Io owners, chiefly on the audio front.
The aim is to provide greater control and integration between timeline audio, host system application audio and microphone inputs, which it does by providing new audio controls to adjust the monitoring mix between NLE timeline audio playback, host system audio and voice over / punch-in mic input. Audio files can now be reviewed and played from multiple locations – including locally stored files, or via a MAM or web browser – in project timelines, while users can also now record voiceovers with low latency, full duplex audio punch-in to existing media on the timeline.
Desktop Software v14 is a free download and available immediately. The Io 4K Plus is available immediately too.
Press release follows on the next page.
AJA Releases Io 4K Plus with Thunderbolt 3 and Desktop Software v14
Simplifies 4K/UltraHD and HDR Workflows and Boosts Audio Capabilities for Postproduction Professionals
December 21, 2017
Grass Valley, Calif. (December 21, 2017)—AJA Video Systems today announced the availability of the Io 4K Plus, a Thunderbolt™ 3 capture and output device, as well as free Desktop Software v14 for its family of KONA and Io products.
Io 4K Plus
Io 4K Plus brings post production professionals flexible 12G-SDI and HDMI 2.0 I/O connectivity and advanced audio. Harnessing the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 3, Io 4K Plus supports 4K/UltraHD and HD large raster, high frame rate, deep color and HDR workflows. Compatible with the latest 4K/UltraHD devices, Io 4K Plus also includes AJA’s proven conversion technology for real time, high quality scaling of 4K and UltraHD to HD for monitoring and output. In addition, it supports Adobe® Premiere® Pro, Apple® FCP X and Avid® Media Composer®, among other standard creative tools.
Io 4K Plus feature highlights include:
- Portable 4K/UltraHD and HD/SD capture and playback across Thunderbolt 3
- Backwards compatibility with Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 hosts
- 12G-SDI and HDMI 2.0 I/O for 4K/UltraHD and 2K/HD/SD with HFR support up to 60p at 4:2:2 (on Thunderbolt 3 hosts)
- Real time 4K/UltraHD to 2K/HD down-conversion
- 8-, 10- and 12-bit 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 over 12G-SDI or HDMI 2.0 workflow support (on Thunderbolt 3 hosts)
- Two Thunderbolt 3 ports for easy daisy chaining of up to six Thunderbolt devices
- Audio I/O: 16-Channel embedded SDI; 8-channel embedded HDMI; 4-Channel analog audio in and 4-Channel audio out via XLR breakout
- Desktop Software v14
- Desktop Software v14 introduces support for Io 4K Plus, in addition to new enhancements for AJA KONA and Io products that simplify 4K/UHD and HDR workflows, and broaden audio capabilities. Providing editors with greater control and integration between timeline audio, host system application audio and microphone inputs, the release enables simple, adjustable audio mixing, monitoring and recording. Post professionals can easily review and play audio files from multiple locations – including locally stored files, or via a MAM or web browser – in project timelines, and record voiceovers to existing media on the timeline.
Desktop Software v14 feature highlights include:
- New audio controls to adjust the monitoring mix between NLE timeline audio playback, host system audio and voice over/punch-in mic input
- Ability to audition music or other audio from a web browser/MAM/cloud, while listening to playback from an Adobe Premiere Pro CC or Apple FCP X timeline
- Record voiceovers to timeline with low latency, full duplex audio punch-in with Io 4K Plus, Io 4K and KONA 4 for Adobe Premiere Pro CC and Avid Media Composer
- 12G-SDI, 6G-SDI and HDMI 2.0 I/O configuration controls for Io 4K Plus via AJA’s Control Panel and Control Room Software
Pricing and Availability
Io 4K Plus is available now for US MSRP $2495 through AJA’s worldwide reseller network. Free Desktop Software v14 can be downloaded today from AJA’s website. For more information, please visit: www.aja.com.