If you’re motivated and you have the time, then your lockdown is primetime to hone some skills. That effort is being aided by Nikon USA which is offering ten online classes for free this month.
The courses range from 15 minutes to an hour long and are taught by Nikon ‘ambassadors’ and pro photographers. The classes are valued at US$15 to US$50 and range from landscape photography, macro photography, fundamentals by Reed Hoffman to even ‘The Art of Making Music Videos’ with filmmaker and musician launched Chris Hershman.
One easy one to try at home is tip and tricks to taking portraits of pets and family from tutor Tamara Lackey. “You'll learn how to get genuine expressions from children and pets, how to create poses that look and feel natural, how to softly blur the backgrounds, how to set your camera and more…”
Another one for cooped-up landscape artists is practising to perfect the macro. Key macro concepts, camera setup and how to light macro subjects go under the microscope.
More gear-specific courses include ones about the Nikon’s SB-5000 Speedlight and videos with Nikon’s mirrorless Z 50.
Nikon’s School classes follow the PPA (Professional Photographers of America)’s move to unlock its entire 1000+ catalogue of classes and other initiatives including Adobe’s two-month free access to Creative Cloud - and Serif’s three-month free trial to access Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher (after which you can buy the software at a discount).
“The introduction of the 90-day free trial and deeply discounted pricing is done in the hope that this will make life a little easier for people who rely on creative software to make a living, but may be stuck at home without their usual tools,” says Serif. “Or for students who might not have access to their Affinity apps on their personal devices.”
The full list from Nikon is:
- Creator’s Mindset: Creating Video Content with Z 50 with Kitty Peters
- Photographing Children and Pets with Tamara Lackey
- Getting Started with Your Nikon DSLR
- Hands-on with SB-5000 Speedlight with Joe McNally
- Fundamentals of Photography with Reed Hoffman
- Environmental Portraiture with Joey Terrill
- The Art of Making Music Videos with Chris Hershman
- Beyond the Fundamentals of Photography with Reed Hoffman
- Discovering Macro Photography with Joey Terrill
- Exploring Dynamic Landscape Photography with Taylor Glenn
To sign up (giving your name and address) go to The Nikon School minisite.