Since Jarred Land shared a couple of images on Instagram a few days ago, speculation has been feverish regarding a new RED camera. And we now know what it is in all its DSMC3 8K glory.
The first entrant in RED's new DSMC3 generation of products, RED says that the V-RAPTOR features the highest dynamic range, fastest cinema quality sensor scan time, cleanest shadows, and highest frame rates it has yet achieved. In a phrase: "It is the most powerful and advanced RED camera ever."
Which is quite some boast.
The Limited Edition V-RAPTOR ST is available to order now, while stocks last, for $24,500.
A few more details
Okay, so a new new flagship system and sensor, as well as the first entrant into the new DSMC3 generation of cameras, is quite a lot to process and there's a live Q&A over on RED's YouTube channel at 2pm PDT with Jarred et al which will no doubt go into a lot more detail. But here's what we know now.
- A multi-format 8K sensor provides the ability to shoot 8K Large Format or 6K S35.
- 8K at 120fps.
- Sensor size: 40.96 mm x 21.60 mm (Diagonal: 46.31 mm)
- Dynamic range is being given as 17 stops.
- Scan times 2x faster than any previous RED camera. This will allow users to shoot at up to 600fps at 2K.
- Integrated RF mount with RF lens support.
- REDCODE RAW codec allows for 16-bit RAW capture. IPP2 workflow and color management stays the same.
- The DSMC3 platform is compact and weighs just over 4lbs (1.8kg)
- Outputs: 2x 4K 12G-SDI outputs, XLR audio. Plus 1080p livestream via WiFi for framing.
- Power: Integrated V-Lock battery interface optimized for Micro V-Lock Batteries. Phantom power via adapter.
And that for the moment is that. Having broken the internet once more, or at least the section of it that cares about high-end film cameras, it will be interesting to see what else RED has to say about it. But for a first glimpse of a new sensor and the much-anticipated DSMC3 models, you have to say that September has started off pretty well.