FiLMiC Firstlight, a feature-packed mobile photography app, was introduced for iOS at the end of 2019. It promised an Android version was coming soon, and now it has delivered on that promise, just a few months later. After dominating the mobile filmmaking world with FiLMiC Pro, the company is planning on doing the same for mobile photography.
Let’s take a look.
FiLMiC Firstlight Features
Debuting in November 2019, FiLMiC Firstlight offers mobile photographers plenty of advanced, professional features to really take advantage of their iPhone’s - and now Androids’ - cameras, just as the FiLMiC Pro app did for mobile filmmaking.
These features include:
- Full and fast exposure and focus manual controls, plus easily lock both in place.
- Cross-swipe to adjust focus and exposure:
- Left and right for focus.
- Up and down for exposure.
- Burst mode, multiple aspect ratios, flash, timer, grid overlays, HDR control (device specific), and many other controls.
- RGB Histogram showcases exposure across color channels.
- Take advantage of focus peaking or zebra stripes to further dial in focus and exposure.
- Shutter and ISO priority modes.
- An AE mode to set combinations of ISO and shutter.
- RAW shooting options, including DNG and TIFF.
- Lens selector, which is specific to what device you’re using.
- Anamorphic lens adapter support, like those from Moondog or any other 1.33x anamorphic lens made for smartphones.
- Film grain to help give your photographs a film look.
- Vintage film simulations, including variations on classic film stocks and altering exposure settings, such as:
- Veloura, which is underexposing Fuji’s Velvia 100 stock by 1/2 stop.
- Ulster, similar to expired Polaroid 600 Color instant film.
- And many others.
FiLMiC Firstlight is available now for both iOS and Android, and is offered as a free version with some limitations, and an in-app paid version with full features. The cost is just a one-time fee of $7.99, no more subscription.
Download it at the App Store and Google Play Store, and visit the official FiLMiC Firstlight page for more technical details, and which phones are supported.