Panasonic has uploaded some free firmware upgrades for the VariCam 35, HS, LT, and Pure cinema cameras that add several interesting new features and added functions.
The firmware upgrades see the VariCam 35/HS and VariCam Pure hit v7.5, while the VariCam LT, reaches v5.5.
The VariCam LT gets one of the headline new upgrades; a high-speed menu mode that enables 240p RAW output for 2K or HD. Couple Convergent Design’s Odyssey 7Q/7Q+ into the workflow and it will let you record 2K/HD-cropped, uncompressed Cinema DNG files.
Also new for the LT, and a sign of the times in camera design, there is a faster and more efficient software reboot that is accomplished via the control panel rather than the slightly old-fashioned ‘turn it off turn it on again’ approach of using the power switch.
The VariCam 35, HS, and LT all have a new REC Check function added that allows users to check the first five and the last five seconds of the latest clip for tail slate marking.
All the VariCam cinema models now have an expanded frame rate range in high speed mode, allowing capture from 1 – 240p. For VariCam wide-screen capture, Anamorphic Desqueeze is now available in play back as well as when recording. A horizontal desqueeze of 1.3x or 2.0x is available for SDI Out or VF SDI. Also for all VariCam cinema cameras, there is an option to apply grading data recorded with clip on play back.
Additional features the firmware upgrades include:
- RDD18 (Camera metadata, including Clip name) on MON output
- INFRA mode (Wireless network setting)
- Support WM50MC (for China) and PLANEX GW-900D (For Japan)
- USER CLIP NAME TYPE3 on OSD is off as default (VariCam 35, HS & LT)
- Deleted CPS password system (VariCam 35 & HS)
- Fixed Card remain time bug of AVCLongG at 23.98p (VariCam 35, HS & LT)
- Supports Canon EF 24-105mm F4 L-series USM lens (VariCam LT only)
- Fixed Valid Frame Flag bug on RAW output (VariCam LT only)
Availability is immediate.