It’s been five years since Metabones announced the first electronic EF to E mount adapters and the company has marked that anniversary with four new releases.
Starting with only aperture control and auto magnify, the company has continued to update both hardware and firmware while also expanding product offerings to include adapters for X-Mount, Micro 43, Blackmagic and Leica cameras adding as well the SpeedBooster lines to adapt full frame lenses to smaller sensor cameras. Lens support includes PL mount, Nikon G and F, Leica, Contax—virtually any lens can be adapted to major camera mounts.
Sony E mount cameras have become increasingly popular in both video/digital cinema and mirrorless products and Sony has offered on several occasions free Metabones adapters with the purchase of specific cameras.
On the fifth anniversary of the first announcement, Metabones announces four new additions to the EF to E mount line—EF to E CINE Smart Adapter, EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA, EF to E Smart Adapter V and EF to E Speed Booster ULTRA II.
All of the new products have a new rubber gasket to protect the E-mount connection from moisture and contamination, an LED light to notify user of Green or Advance adapter modes, and a dedicated switch for those mirrorless cameras with IBIS (in-body image stabilization).
The new products claim to add full compatibility with the Sony FS7 II video camera. That will indeed be of some interest inasmuch as I do know that the current Metabones IV and Speed Booster will mount on the FS7 II’s locking mount. But I have not yet been able to test electronic compatibility.
The two CINE models differ from the Smart Adapter V and Speed Booster ULTRA II by adding a positive-lock EF mount similar both to PL cinema mounts as well as to Sony’s FS7 II locking mount.
All other features remain the same as the most current firmware release. And speaking of firmware releases, Metabones has also quietly updated the firmware for current Mark IV and Speed Booster ULTRA models to v0.54, fixing certain autofocus accuracy problems. The EF to Sony FZ CINE adapter also saw an update enabling lens hot swapping (while at the same time advising that the best practice is still to power off the camera before changing lenses).
The two CINE models are slated to ship in February at prices of $449 for the EF to E Cine and $699 for the CINE Speed Booster ULTRA II. Pricing and availability for the Smart Adapter Mark V and Speed Booster ULTA II are to be determined.
The full press release with product specs over the page.
Metabones Unveils Fifth-Generation Smart Adapters on Fifth Anniversary
Vancouver, Canada, January 18, 2017 - Metabones unveils 4 new products on the fifth anniversary of the original Smart Adapter. They are EF to E CINE Smart Adapter™, EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA, EF to E Smart Adapter V and EF to E Speed Booster ULTRA II.
The headline feature of EF to E CINE Smart Adapter and EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA is a positive-lock EF lens mount carried over from the critically acclaimed Metabones EF-FZ CINE Smart Adapter, a perfect companion to the positive-lock mount of the new Sony FS7 Mark II camera.
All 4 new products are equipped with a rubber gasket to protect the E-mount connection from dust and moisture. To promote ease-of-use, an LED indicates the adapter's operation mode, optical image stabilization operation and communication status. A dedicated switch controls in-body image stabilization (IBIS) on Sony cameras equipped with SteadyShot INSIDE.
EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA and EF to E Speed Booster ULTRA II feature the same world-renowned Speed Booster ULTRA optics by Caldwell Photographic and WB Designs that make lenses brighter, wider and sharper.
Metabones recounts the beginnings of the world's first fully electronic EF to E mount adapter 5 years ago, with only aperture control and auto-magnify (requires lens with distance information) but no autofocus support back then. Over the years firmware work has significantly expanded its capabilities. Today, the very same original Smart Adapter, though long discontinued, can still be upgraded to leverage the latest firmware benefits such as smooth iris (lens support required), fast contrast detection autofocus on all E-mount cameras, eye-AF, direct manual focus (DMF), zoom and distance display (requires lens with distance information), assignable custom button and 5-axis image stabilization (requires camera support).
Since the advent of the original EF to E Smart Adapter 5 years ago, Metabones has assumed a pivotal role in the mirrorless revolution. Cinematographers and photographers all over the world are armed with unprecedented flexibility of lens and camera choice.
EF to E CINE Smart Adapter will be available in February 2017 for USD 449 plus applicable taxes, duties and shipping, and EF to E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA will be offered at the same time for USD 699 plus applicable taxes, duties and shipping. Availability and pricing of EF to E Smart Adapter V and EF to E Speed Booster ULTRA II are to be determined.
Product name (model number):
Canon EF-E mount T CINE Speed Booster ULTRA (MB_SPEF-E-BT3)
• Dimension / Weight (H:91cm W:88cm D:26.5cm / 242g), Suggested Retail Price USD699
Canon EF-E mount T CINE Smart Adapter (MB_EF-E-BT6)
• Dimension / Weight (H:91cm W:88cm D:31cm / 207g), Suggested Retail Price USD449
Canon EF-E mount T Speed Booster ULTRA II (model number MB_SPEF-E-BT3)
• Dimension / Weight (TBD), Suggested Retail Price TBD
Canon EF-E mount T Smart Adapter (MB_EF-E-BT5)
• Dimension / Weight (TBD), Suggested Retail Price TBD
New key features
· CINE models feature a new positive-lock EF lens mount. (Patent pending)
· Rubber gasket protects E-mount connection from dust and moisture.
· Compatible with Sony FS7 Mark II camera
· Status notification LED light
· Dedicated switch controls in-body image stabilization (IBIS)
· Fast contrast-detect AF on all E-mount cameras.
· Phase-detect autofocus support on A7RII, A7II, A6300 and A6500.
· Smooth iris support with the latest Canon (2009+), Tamron (SP series 2013+) and Sigma (2016+) lenses
· Supports 5-axis in-body image stabilization of A7II, A7RII and A7SII. (Distance information from lens required; 3-axis IBIS if lens does not transmit distance information.)
· Powered by camera body. No external power source required.
· Aperture control from camera body.
· Custom function button assignable to more than 50 functions on A7 series and A6300/A6500.
· High performance 32-bit processor and efficient switched-mode power supply.
· Supports image stabilization (IS) lenses.
· Supports electronic manual focusing (e.g. EF 85/1.2L II and discontinued EF 50/1.0L)
· EXIF support (focal length, aperture, zoom range)
· Distance and zoom display on VG and FS series camcorders, A7 series and A6300/A6500 (lens with distance information support required).
· Auto magnify (lens with distance information support required)
· Auto "APS-C Size Capture" on full-frame cameras.
Optical (Speed Booster models only*) /Mechanical Features
· Increase maximum aperture by 1 stop.*
· Increase MTF.*
· Makes lens 0.71x wider.*
· Advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass by Caldwell Photographic in the USA (patent).*
· Felt material flocked inside the opening to reduce internal reflection.
· The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins, and Photo Clam ball heads.