VR & AR
17 Oct 2014
Google is leading the way in an assumed $500 million dollar funding round for Magic Leap, a shadowy company at the technological crossroads of cinema, augmented, and virtual reality. Is "Cinematic Reality" the imaging advancement that usurps holography as the far-flung pinnacle in visual experience? And will it arrive sooner than we think?Read more...
11 Aug 2014
Whether you think virtual reality is nothing more than a gimmick or the next big thing, it's coming and may transform how we approach film production, as evidenced by a short virtual reality film by New Deal Studios and Jaunt VR.Read more...
16 Jul 2014
3D video - not just stereoscopic video but moving images that you can literally walk around - will need a different kind of camera.Read more...
14 Jul 2014
A group of Polish engineers, coders, and designers built an augmented reality rig featuring an Oculus Rift and two GoPros, and shared the demonstration / making of video. Is this backyard experiment an indicator of where augmented reality is heading?Read more...
27 Mar 2014
In the wake of Facebook's $2bn swoop for Oculus Rift, last week's announcement that Sony is building a VR headset for the Playstation 4 seems a bit more significant. Are we about to see a domestic VR arms race? Or is AR (Augmented Reality) as epitomised by Google Glass the best way forward in the short term?Read more...
26 Mar 2014
What's behind the Facebook takeover of the plucky Kickstarter-funded Oculus Rift? Why would Facebook want to own a Virtual Reality company?Read more...
30 May 2013
All eyes are on bigger displays, from projectors to the 4K tidal wave on the horizon, but what if the next revolution is something that's already here?Read more...
- Saturday 15 Jun 2019 - (20265) What's it like using a top-end camera (the Sony F65) on a low-budget indie film?
- Friday 14 Jun 2019 - (17498) Here's what happens when DJI and GoPro go head to head
- Friday 7 Jun 2019 - (10575) Apple's Mac Pro Afterburner. What just happened?
- Saturday 8 Jun 2019 - (10513) URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 - Our first impressions of this potentially revolutionary camera
- Monday 10 Jun 2019 - (8756) Think the new Mac Pro is too expensive? It isn't.
- Wednesday 19 Jun 2019 - (803) Hasselblad doubles down on medium format
- Wednesday 19 Jun 2019 - (404) Red Giant releases transformational suite of VFX tools for After Effects
- Tuesday 18 Jun 2019 - (711) Sony updates its NX80 and Z90 cameras to simplify live streaming
- Tuesday 18 Jun 2019 - (734) Showreels tell you nothing about how good a camera is [opinion]
- Tuesday 18 Jun 2019 - (1936) If you want to be more cinematic, you should shoot taller, not wider
3D 4K 8K Adobe Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Blackmagic Design Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography Digital Bolex DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro Grading HD HDR Intel lenses Lighting Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic ProRes Raw RED RedShark Review Samsung Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video