VR & AR
25 Feb 2019
Microsoft has unveiled HoloLens 2, an upgraded version of the mixed-reality headgear and the nearest thing yet to being able to interact Minority Report style with the dimensional internet. But this is not aimed at gamers, visual entertainment, office workers or casual punters. This is a hardcore piece of computing for industry which takes AR very seriously indeed.Read more...
22 Feb 2019
Data glasses are about to get 8K, OLED and a mass production push.Read more...
29 Jan 2019
Who'd have thought you could stage a live virtual studio using only a PC and a GPU? The Future Group's Pixotope is a staggering illustration of commodity computer power - and of course, some very clever software.Read more...
13 Dec 2018
At the end of September, Facebook unveiled a volumetric 360-degree camera built in a collaboration with RED Digital Cinema. Known as the Manifold, the new system may be first and foremost a VR camera, but volumetric cameras also hold great promise to traditional video industry.Read more...
26 Nov 2018
The sale by Virtual Reality production pioneer Jaunt of its VR equipment division should not be seen as another nail in the VR coffin. On the contrary, VR – like stereoscopic 3D – will return bigger and better than before with augmented reality a means to that end. It is AR to which Jaunt is turning its attention.Read more...
31 Oct 2018
Answer? Google Earth Pro. Until January 2015, this high resolution, professional version of the popular mapping software Google Earth, cost broadcasters and institutional users an annual subscription of $399/year. Now it’s free for everybody to download to their PC or Mac Desktop, but with the recent introduction of 4K output resolution, GE Pro could become your new best friend!Read more...
29 Oct 2018
To promote one of its latest series, Nickelodeon has employed some clever technology using a combination of VR and mixed reality to allow journalists to conduct realtime interviews with the characters from a cartoon show, right inside their world.Read more...
10 Oct 2018
Is Facebook’s new Oculus Quest VR headset a more powerful Oculus Go, a less powerful Rift, or something else entirely?Read more...
27 Sep 2018
As far as high end specs go, everyone else might struggle to beat the concept of 16 8K Helium sensors arrayed together in a single rig…Read more...
- Sunday 10 Mar 2019 - (35502) How To Edit. Part 1: Preparation
- Sunday 17 Mar 2019 - (17854) Data Bending: Creating Unique Digital Visual Effects
- Monday 11 Mar 2019 - (11203) The one simple secret of lighting a face
- Tuesday 5 Mar 2019 - (7255) Surprise unveiling of USB 4.0, and it rivals Thunderbolt 3 speeds
- Wednesday 13 Mar 2019 - (6220) The Sony PXW-Z90 - The perfect documentary camera?
- Wednesday 20 Mar 2019 - (222) If you want a good showreel, make a really short film
- Tuesday 19 Mar 2019 - (750) Significant update for iMacs - up to twice the performance
- Tuesday 19 Mar 2019 - (974) The Sony PXW-Z90 - The perfect documentary camera? – Part 2
- Tuesday 19 Mar 2019 - (5663) The Nikon Z 6 - Has the king of the crossover cameras arrived?
- Tuesday 19 Mar 2019 - (1504) High frame rate cinema, what’s going wrong? [opinion]
3D 4K 8K Adobe Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Blackmagic Design Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography Digital Bolex DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro Grading HD HDR Intel lenses Lighting Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic ProRes Raw RED RedShark Review Samsung Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video