VR & AR
04 Dec 2019
Affordable 360 cameras have always had one big limitation. Resolution. All this is about to change with the KanDao Qoocam 8K, an affordable, and very small, 360 camera that allows 4K 'overcapture' output, could be the device we've been waiting for.Read more...
29 Nov 2019
Prince thought the idea “demonic” but holographic proxies for pop stars are closer to the bone than ever. In a claimed world first, a single by Brazilian chanteuse Laura Rizzotto has been released, accompanied by an AR ‘holographic’ app. Fans can see her performing the track in virtual three-dimensionality anywhere they point their phone.Read more...
02 Oct 2019
It will eventually be one of the most transformative display technologies since the invention of the television. The race is currently on to produce the world's first practical high resolution Light Field display.Read more...
13 Aug 2019
Our palm lines and fingerprints are as unique as our face and the movement of our fingers and hands as expressive as our eyes but animating them has proved as tough a challenge as overcoming the Uncanny Valley.Read more...
01 Aug 2019
The falling green code which opens all The Matrix movies represents the encoded activity of the virtual reality environment (aka the Matrix). An earlier version of digital rain, to which the Wachowskis’ paid homage, is the 1995 manga classic Ghost in the Shell. The idea has now been given a fresh twist as an art exhibit and it’s arguably more…Read more...
31 Jul 2019
VFX simulations, especially of photoreal digital humans, involve painstaking scanning, modelling, texturing and lighting, but the latest technologies might soon allow anyone to generate high-fidelity 3D avatars out of a single picture and create animations in real-time.Read more...
30 Jul 2019
MicroLEDs are the revolutionary new display technology that will form the future for all types of gadgetry that requires a screen.Read more...
06 May 2019
When it comes to seemingly infinitely increasing resolutions it is all too easy to forget that there are very real, and much needed, reasons why they are required. And it goes well beyond conventional video and filmmaking.Read more...
25 Feb 2019
Microsoft has unveiled HoloLens 2, an upgraded version of the mixed-reality headgear and the nearest thing yet to being able to interact Minority Report style with the dimensional internet. But this is not aimed at gamers, visual entertainment, office workers or casual punters. This is a hardcore piece of computing for industry which takes AR very seriously indeed.Read more...
- Sunday 12 Jan 2020 - (42778) How to understand "Log" or Cine-style recordings
- Sunday 19 Jan 2020 - (12136) Review: The DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard really enhances speed and cut flow
- Monday 13 Jan 2020 - (7756) This is revolutionary: The world's first liquid lens lightfield camera
- Friday 10 Jan 2020 - (6933) Seagate IronWolf NAS: Is it big and fast enough?
- Monday 20 Jan 2020 - (4866) If you love electronic music, you'll love this
- Wednesday 22 Jan 2020 - (260) Why can't we just have one lens mount?
- Tuesday 21 Jan 2020 - (640) iRig Pro Duo I/O: A Dual audio interface that fits into your pocket
- Tuesday 21 Jan 2020 - (2877) The HP DreamColor Z31x Studio: The perfect budget precision colour grading monitor?
- Tuesday 21 Jan 2020 - (1991) Here's a great example of how you can make a living from low budget filmmaking
- Monday 20 Jan 2020 - (4737) What's it like to own the original ARRI Alexa?
4K 8K AMD Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Blackmagic Design Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro GPU Grading HD HDR Intel iPhone LED lenses Lighting Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic ProRes Raw RED Review Samsung Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video