Technology & Computing
21 Feb 2019
Characterised as a solution looking for a problem (but that’s what they said about the iPad), smartphones that literally double as a tablet are set to be the new mobile computing craze with Samsung bagging the obvious brand name and first mover status.Read more...
20 Feb 2019
Wouldn't it be nice if we could forget all this complexity over codecs and compression and just store video material in universally-recognised formats, like sound people do?Read more...
20 Feb 2019
An all new MacBook Pro and a 6K professional monitor are among some quite credible rumours that have come to pass for Apple’s 2019 lineup.Read more...
19 Feb 2019
A revolution in projection screens? Doesn't sound very likely, does it? Because the ongoing problem with projection screens is that to be able to display colours accurately, they have to be white. Which means that they're never going to be very good at showing black.Read more...
JPEG is a technologically ancient format. More modern alternatives have appeared, but none have replaced it in popularity. With Apple's HEIC format, will we finally be able to consign JPEG to the dustbin?Read more...
08 Feb 2019
Computational photography techniques are now commonplace on smartphones, allowing tiny sensors to achieve amazing results. Phil Rhodes asks, why hasn't computational cinematography in bigger cameras yet become normal?Read more...
07 Feb 2019
We take a look at what's forthcoming in 2019 for that all that's important in graphics processing.Read more...
07 Feb 2019
About a year ago, we covered the ISO and ASA systems as they apply differently to film and video cameras. There's been a lot of interest in that article, especially when it was republished more recently, with a lot of discussion about the details of how modern cameras implement their sensitivity settings. Phil Rhodes delves in even further.Read more...
- Sunday 12 Jan 2020 - (42777) How to understand "Log" or Cine-style recordings
- Sunday 19 Jan 2020 - (12133) Review: The DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard really enhances speed and cut flow
- Monday 13 Jan 2020 - (7755) This is revolutionary: The world's first liquid lens lightfield camera
- Friday 10 Jan 2020 - (6932) Seagate IronWolf NAS: Is it big and fast enough?
- Friday 10 Jan 2020 - (4859) Here are our picks of the best tech at CES 2020
- Wednesday 22 Jan 2020 - (243) Why can't we just have one lens mount?
- Tuesday 21 Jan 2020 - (630) iRig Pro Duo I/O: A Dual audio interface that fits into your pocket
- Tuesday 21 Jan 2020 - (2848) The HP DreamColor Z31x Studio: The perfect budget precision colour grading monitor?
- Tuesday 21 Jan 2020 - (1974) Here's a great example of how you can make a living from low budget filmmaking
- Monday 20 Jan 2020 - (4723) What's it like to own the original ARRI Alexa?
4K 8K AMD Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Blackmagic Design Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro GPU Grading HD HDR Intel iPhone LED lenses Lighting Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic ProRes Raw RED Review Samsung Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video