26 May 2017
Some of the most important aspects of producing video content in the modern age are governed by standards. Here is a brief rundown of some of the numbers we're most likely to encounter, and a quick summary of what they mean.Read more...
The more mobile we get as content creators, the more cumbersome it becomes to bring a tripod along with us. But that doesn’t change the need for stable images and videos, so what is a shooter to do? Well, there are plenty of other ways to skin the stability cat.Read more...
25 May 2017
Digital, file-based video, has brought untold benefits. Quality is up, and equipment costs are down. And now the internet means that we have a worldwide distribution network that allows anyone to can watch video almost anywhere. It’s win-win.Read more...
24 May 2017
News from Cannes: VFX and 3D animation facility Prana Studios plans to reinvent the theatrical experience with massive screens encompassing entire theatres, animatronic dinosaurs, and actors performing live on stage.Read more...
24 May 2017
Gear we like. It might be five years old now, which seems like a lifetime in the modern camera industry, but Sony's FS700 is still a mighty fine camera and that's even before you start talking about its high framerate capability.Read more...
23 May 2017
It has never been easier to shoot uncompressed, so why do we continue to insist on doing so?Read more...
22 May 2017
With the new film, Blade Runner 2046 on the way later this year, Ridley Scott’s original Blade Runner is a rich source of inspiration for many young filmmakers. Recently we highlighted the one-man CGI approach, but here Luka Hrgović and Dino Julius show how they took the optical, in-camera approach with their short, Slice of Life.Read more...
21 May 2017
All too often, you may be stuck with needing to shoot an interview or take a photo and you only have one light to shine on your subject. Ordinarily, that would mean long shadows and an unappealing image, but with a few bounce boards you can create the look of 3-point lighting and save the day.Read more...
- Saturday 20 May 2017 - (13153) The Great Monitoring Dilemma: how to preserve picture quality for the DIY filmmaker
- Wednesday 17 May 2017 - (10635) Intel preps to launch Core i9, its first new processor line in years
- Monday 22 May 2017 - (8547) It really is time to stop talking about UHD
- Thursday 18 May 2017 - (6609) AMD Ryzen Threadripper: 16-core monster coming this summer
- Monday 15 May 2017 - (5970) Could you use the new Wacom Intuos Pro for video editing?
- Friday 26 May 2017 - (353) A brief guide to the most important image standards
- Friday 26 May 2017 - (1491) Thunderbolt 3 and the problems with peripherals
- Thursday 25 May 2017 - (402) Seven ways to get stability without a tripod
- Thursday 25 May 2017 - (988) We need to talk! Frame.io helps you communicate with your production colleagues [sponsored]
- Thursday 25 May 2017 - (1830) DJI Spark: the new entry level consumer drone
3D 4K 8K Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography Digital Bolex DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro Grading HD HDR IBC iPhone LED lenses Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic production ProRes Raw RED Review Samsung Sensor Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video