Studio & Broadcast
06 Feb 2017
The new TV switching, recording and streaming suite of products announced today by Blackmagic are both an evolution and a significant upgrade — and there's one brand new category of product altogether. David Shapton reports.Read more...
02 Feb 2017
Last Friday, we staged our first live show. We wanted to tell you what we learned from it. Brief summary: a lot. There are reasons why so many jobs in broadcasting are highly skilled and considered mission critical.Read more...
09 Jan 2017
Amid all the usual hoopla about wacky gadgets — this year being AI toothbrushes, robotic cushion cleaners and walk around VR — you can rest assured that the old product category of TVs is where the largest manufacturers are putting most of their marketing and R&D. These were the CES 2017 highlights.Read more...
03 Jan 2017
I’ve spent Christmas in a 4K winter wonderland. Well, that's overstating it a bit, perhaps, but with a Dell 32" 4K monitor on my desk and a 75" Sony 4K HDR set to play with, it's been by far the best chance I've ever had to spend some quality time in front of all those pixels.Read more...
31 Dec 2016
Back to the future: While much of the industry concentrates on getting better quality pixels onto better quality screens, the immediacy of live TV is proving attractive to advertisers searching to grab eyeballs. How attractive? Try 18 locations in one 60-second commercial.Read more...
19 Dec 2016
When the UK experienced the biggest explosion in peacetime at the Buncefield Oil Depot in Hemel Hempstead, I was right there, and I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Nor did the rest of the country.Read more...
06 Dec 2016
One of the unforseen problems for many people when buying a very big TV is that, if you don’t have a good video source, then the pictures can look awful. And network television is not always a good video source.Read more...
28 Sep 2016
Sony and RedShark - courtesy of Livestream - were live earlier from New York as Sony's Peter Crithary and our own David Shapton talked about how to plan and produce live TV shows with affordable equipment and services.Read more...
- Monday 7 Jan 2019 - (13244) No, Apple hasn't abandoned professionals and it's not going bust. Here's why.
- Monday 14 Jan 2019 - (8565) If you thought data wrangling on earth was hard, spare a thought for NASA!
- Thursday 3 Jan 2019 - (7060) A new take on HDR: One of the best explanations you'll see
- Wednesday 9 Jan 2019 - (5082) Atomos hints at a new type of future for video makers
- Tuesday 15 Jan 2019 - (5039) No, 8k isn't going to fail just like 3D. Here's why
- Thursday 17 Jan 2019 - (381) Escape From New York was a triumph of minimalist soundtrack design
- Thursday 17 Jan 2019 - (1386) What's the difference between log modes and HDR?
- Thursday 17 Jan 2019 - (1230) Before you buy a vintage lens, you might want to read this first
- Wednesday 16 Jan 2019 - (3921) Why do we keep thinking in 35mm for focal lengths?
- Wednesday 16 Jan 2019 - (3349) Sony's new a6400 is a 4K video powerhouse
3D 4K 8K Adobe Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Blackmagic Design Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography Digital Bolex DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro Grading HD HDR Intel lenses Lighting Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic ProRes Raw RED RedShark Review Samsung Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video