Studio & Broadcast
For a new technology that looks set to be deployed without any damaging format wars, there is still plenty of confusion regarding HDR standards and what you should be looking for when thinking of purchasing a new TV set. Here’s the information you need.Read more...
05 Mar 2017
RedShark Replay: In case you think some of the announcements we hear nowadays are game-changing, here's a look back at a truly groundbreaking one from 61 years ago that changed broadcast television forever. And that's no hype. By Phillip Moss.Read more...
06 Feb 2017
The new TV switching, recording and streaming suite of products announced today by Blackmagic are both an evolution and a significant upgrade — and there's one brand new category of product altogether. David Shapton reports.Read more...
02 Feb 2017
Last Friday, we staged our first live show. We wanted to tell you what we learned from it. Brief summary: a lot. There are reasons why so many jobs in broadcasting are highly skilled and considered mission critical.Read more...
09 Jan 2017
Amid all the usual hoopla about wacky gadgets — this year being AI toothbrushes, robotic cushion cleaners and walk around VR — you can rest assured that the old product category of TVs is where the largest manufacturers are putting most of their marketing and R&D. These were the CES 2017 highlights.Read more...
03 Jan 2017
I’ve spent Christmas in a 4K winter wonderland. Well, that's overstating it a bit, perhaps, but with a Dell 32" 4K monitor on my desk and a 75" Sony 4K HDR set to play with, it's been by far the best chance I've ever had to spend some quality time in front of all those pixels.Read more...
31 Dec 2016
Back to the future: While much of the industry concentrates on getting better quality pixels onto better quality screens, the immediacy of live TV is proving attractive to advertisers searching to grab eyeballs. How attractive? Try 18 locations in one 60-second commercial.Read more...
19 Dec 2016
When the UK experienced the biggest explosion in peacetime at the Buncefield Oil Depot in Hemel Hempstead, I was right there, and I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Nor did the rest of the country.Read more...
06 Dec 2016
One of the unforseen problems for many people when buying a very big TV is that, if you don’t have a good video source, then the pictures can look awful. And network television is not always a good video source.Read more...
- Saturday 20 May 2017 - (13153) The Great Monitoring Dilemma: how to preserve picture quality for the DIY filmmaker
- Wednesday 17 May 2017 - (10635) Intel preps to launch Core i9, its first new processor line in years
- Monday 22 May 2017 - (8550) It really is time to stop talking about UHD
- Thursday 18 May 2017 - (6610) AMD Ryzen Threadripper: 16-core monster coming this summer
- Monday 15 May 2017 - (5971) Could you use the new Wacom Intuos Pro for video editing?
- Friday 26 May 2017 - (363) A brief guide to the most important image standards
- Friday 26 May 2017 - (1503) Thunderbolt 3 and the problems with peripherals
- Thursday 25 May 2017 - (408) Seven ways to get stability without a tripod
- Thursday 25 May 2017 - (991) We need to talk! Frame.io helps you communicate with your production colleagues [sponsored]
- Thursday 25 May 2017 - (1835) DJI Spark: the new entry level consumer drone
3D 4K 8K Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography Digital Bolex DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro Grading HD HDR IBC iPhone LED lenses Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic production ProRes Raw RED Review Samsung Sensor Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video