Freya Black is a Freelance writer, director, cinematographer and artist based in the UK, (the land of cold winters and rainy days). She believes cinematography is all about creating magic through light. Her all time favorite film is "Freaks" by Todd Browning. Freya is a big fan of chocolate, owls and the night.
It is a fantastic time to be buying an action camera. At no period has this been better illustrated than now. Xiaomi has been making waves with its existing action camera line, that have been giving GoPro a very serious run for their money. Now the company has released a new camera into the fold, that offers many features found on higher budget rivals, but at an incredible sub £100 price point.
To a huge amount of anticipation, the Nikon D850 has finally arrived. The Nikon D810 was a favoured camera of film-makers working in full frame video, so people have been waiting with bated breath to see what the company will produce as a more modern replacement.
Laser technology in projectors is approaching mainstream. Brighter, sharper pictures with lower maintenance costs are promised. But will these latest 4K laser projectors tempt cinema owners enough to upgrade their existing set-ups?
Rumours abound. A successor to the Nikon D810 has been anticipated for some time now. Rumours have been flying as to what the specifications might be. However in recent days information about its specifications have begun to leak out, including 8K time-lapse video capability and versatile slow motion abilities. No official announcement has been made, so it's a good idea to treat this as the purest form of speculation. However this is what we think we know so far!
Over the weekend Apple accidentally released firmware for its forthcoming HomePod speaker replete with details of the new iPhone 8.
People have been expecting a 4K capable Apple TV for a long time, even before the last version of the device was announced way back in 2015 but now it seems like a 5th generation of the Apple TV might be on the horizon that is both 4K and HDR capable.
Whereas there is some question around whether 4K streaming, with its bandwidth limitations or physical media (in the form of UHD Blu-ray) is the future for 4K and HDR, it all seems a lot simpler for computer games. Indeed, the main question for gaming in 4K seems to be if you want to go with Sony's PlayStation 4 Pro or Microsoft's Xbox One S and Xbox One X offerings.
- Saturday 9 Sep 2017 - (47355) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 6 Sep 2017 - (11663) Venice is the new 6K full frame CineAlta camera from Sony
- Tuesday 5 Sep 2017 - (11464) Sony RX0: probably the best action cam so far!
- Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 - (8263) Canon announces two new fixed lens 4K camcorders with high frame rate capabilities
- Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 - (7318) HP boasts new workstation is ‘the most powerful on the planet’
- Tuesday 19 Sep 2017 - (941) The winners of the RedShark News awards at IBC 2017 announced
- Monday 18 Sep 2017 - (616) Avid’s MediaCentral promises to speed up collaborative workflows
- Monday 18 Sep 2017 - (579) RØDE goes wireless for vocal performance
- Monday 18 Sep 2017 - (1146) Metadata capable lenses from Zeiss help to smooth post workflows [video]
- Monday 18 Sep 2017 - (2559) The latest from Blackmagic Design at IBC 2017 [video]