Andy is Deputy Editor of RedShark. He has spent over two decades writing about all aspects of the broadcast and film industries for a variety of high-profile industry publications on both sides of the Atlantic. During that time the industry has moved from 4:3 SD to 16:9 SD to HD and now on to 4K HDR. He's getting kind of curious to see where it goes next.
Watching this well-wrapped camera operator and their equally well-wrapped camera get doused in a torrent of red liquid, you realise that the latest behind the scenes video for Star Wars Episode 8 shows that it's going to be all about the large scale practical effects.
In a couple of hours Season 7 of Game of Thrones will debut and we'll start getting some inkling into the fate of Westeros as, after seven years of foretelling, Winter arrives with a vengeance. We'll also get to see some of the best VFX work this side of a major cinema blockbuster.
RED has always been a company that likes to play its marketing cards close to its chest, but it's latest announcement has unleashed a greater than normal torrent of speculation. Why? Because this mysterious post to the RED User forum came from none other than Jim Jannard himself.
- Saturday 15 Jul 2017 - (20602) Why put a camera on your shoulder?
- Tuesday 18 Jul 2017 - (11442) The real purpose of the RED Hydrogen smartphone
- Saturday 22 Jul 2017 - (11207) Steadicam: The device that changed filmmaking forever
- Thursday 20 Jul 2017 - (9205) Samsung launches HDR LED cinema screen
- Thursday 20 Jul 2017 - (8377) Why the Moon landing was not a hoax filmed in slow motion
- Tuesday 25 Jul 2017 - (149) Using the ARRI Alexa Mini as a stills camera
- Tuesday 25 Jul 2017 - (772) Nikon celebrates 100th birthday by announcing the Nikon D850
- Tuesday 25 Jul 2017 - (3287) Canon’s CN-E 18-80mm: a lot of lens for the money
- Monday 24 Jul 2017 - (1093) Filmmakers love retro lenses... how about retro cameras?
- Monday 24 Jul 2017 - (1941) Sony FS5 update adds ability to change minimum ISO and more