Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
Compression is, as every schoolchild knows, bad. Even so, there are more reasons than the obvious why it can be a questionable idea to involve a lot of mathematics in the storage of images
Somehow, I managed to overlook the fact that last month saw the death of Bryce E. Bayer, the man who decided that the best way to make a single-chip colour imaging sensor was to silk-screen a pattern of coloured filters on the front
As we saw in my previous article on sensor technology, we can now build sensors with enormous numbers attached to them - if not trivially, at least reliably. Given that current 4K sensors are more than adequate to replace 35mm film in terms of sheer resolution, we need to be careful about turning this into a numbers game.
RedShark Replay: One of the earliest articles we published on RedShark, but still mostly relevant today. As digital video cameras get better, and their users become more ambitious, LUTs are used to preserve or manipulate the images. Understanding LUTs is now key to setting up a production workflow
- Sunday 9 Dec 2018 - (100528) 11 things video editors wish they could say to camera operators and DOPs
- Sunday 16 Dec 2018 - (23958) The art of Colour Rendering
- Tuesday 11 Dec 2018 - (14515) Samsung's new 860 QVO SSDs could be the start of an SSD capacity revolution
- Friday 14 Dec 2018 - (9183) Canon EOS R: Flawed or fundamentally different?
- Friday 7 Dec 2018 - (8507) Blackmagic Design demonstrates that crime doesn't pay
- Wednesday 19 Dec 2018 - (445) Intel skips a generation with new Gen 11 "Sunny Cove" processors
- Tuesday 18 Dec 2018 - (612) 4K makes old films look better than they did in the cinema
- Tuesday 18 Dec 2018 - (6036) The Dell Precision 5530 2-in-1 will change your idea of what a workstation should look like
- Tuesday 18 Dec 2018 - (1223) With 1200 seats, this could be the largest post production partnership ever seen
- Monday 17 Dec 2018 - (894) Here's RedShark's new Podcast - Episode 1: From Vinyl to iPads via Moore's Law