Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
RedShark Replay: One of the earliest articles we published on RedShark, but still mostly relevant today. As digital video cameras get better, and their users become more ambitious, LUTs are used to preserve or manipulate the images. Understanding LUTs is now key to setting up a production workflow
I recently encountered a thread on one of my favourite forums in which someone was asking for opinions on a Canon EOS-60D package he'd seen on ebay. This package included the 60D body and extras including three lenses including a battery, charger, flash cards, various filters and diopters, cleaning kit, tripod, and more. All of this was neatly photographed and posted for sale on Ebay by a vendor we'll call, in order to protect the guilty, Pretty Cheap Digital, based in New York
If you're one of the people who's preordered a Blackmagic Cinema Camera, unless you're very lucky, you will probably have noticed that you don't actually have one yet. RedShark, in common with the rest of the world’s media, is eagerly awaiting the arrival of a camera to put through its paces.
For most of the history of film, if you wanted to insert something into the picture that didn't exist, the camera had to be stationary. Motion tracking allows artificial objects to be inserted convincingly into real footage. Phil Rhodes explains
- Friday 7 Sep 2018 - (35299) We've tried the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. Here's all you need to know
- Saturday 8 Sep 2018 - (33244) For all film makers: How to avoid losing your stuff and where to put it
- Friday 14 Sep 2018 - (8309) Blackmagic Design announces advanced new Blackmagic Raw Codec
- Saturday 15 Sep 2018 - (7077) What’s coming to Adobe Creative Cloud?
- Friday 7 Sep 2018 - (6463) This is the most impressive photo of a cat taken on a phone we have ever seen
- Tuesday 18 Sep 2018 - (409) We could be seeing the end of Moore's Law, but not for the reasons you think
- Tuesday 18 Sep 2018 - (2005) Smartphones are now a serious photography tool [opinion]
- Monday 17 Sep 2018 - (2530) Significant performance increases are promised with Intel's 9th Gen. Coffee Lake refresh
- Monday 17 Sep 2018 - (3893) Dell's UP3218K - a monitor with more resolution that most DSLRs!
- Monday 17 Sep 2018 - (5514) Is DaVinci Resolve now the ultimate end-to-end production suite?