Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
RedShark Replay: Human beings come in a variety of exciting colours. Rendering those colours in a pleasing way has been a goal of photography since before photography actually had colours, but it's always going to be an incredibly subjective issue
Here's another chance to read this great article by Phil Rhodes on why cameras need global shutters. Cheaper, cinematic cameras come with a cost - they tend to have Rolling Shutters, which means that rapid movement can be skewed. The ability to buy cameras with global shutters at all price points can't come soon enough, according to Phil Rhodes
In the real world, light levels vary enormously. Our current screens can't reproduce images that include light sources or reflections of them accurately. To do so would require a massive increase in brightness. But it needs to be done. Phil Rhodes explains the science needed for this next artistic leap
As summer looms and people's minds turn to well-earned vacations, we're re-running some of our most popular past articles in case you didn't see them the first time. In this exhaustive piece, Phil Rhodes explains the background and the latest developments in the ever-evolving world of RAID.
This holiday we're re-running some of our most popular articles, in case you didn't see them the first time. Toda, we're drilling down to the essence of the difference between analogue and digital. Here's Phil Rhodes' take on this persistent question. It's a fascinating read, and is pretty definitive on the subject.
- Monday 8 Apr 2019 - (19179) Blackmagic Design's radical new video editor
- Friday 12 Apr 2019 - (13163) FeiyuTech introduces a new action camera along with innovative gimbal technology
- Friday 5 Apr 2019 - (7255) Ten things not to miss at NAB 2019
- Monday 8 Apr 2019 - (6194) DaVinci Resolve 16 is here, and make no mistake, this is a big update
- Sunday 7 Apr 2019 - (5924) Sony focuses on extending the capabilities of existing hardware at NAB 2019
- Thursday 18 Apr 2019 - (149) NAB 2019: NewTek adds Tricaster features & more
- Thursday 18 Apr 2019 - (714) HP Optane memory can provide huge capacities, but could eliminate lost work too
- Wednesday 17 Apr 2019 - (591) You can't properly judge a camera by the picture you are seeing
- Wednesday 17 Apr 2019 - (934) NAB 2019: Less is more with Resolve 16
- Wednesday 17 Apr 2019 - (2133) Blackmagic Editor Keyboard: A return to the linear editor's mindset?