Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
All this talk of 4K, high frame rate, 3D, and ever more precision and information in video signals is a good thing, right? Well, yes, but at some point, an engineering solution has to be designed to let it happen, and there's reason to believe we might be getting a bit ahead of ourselves
Recently I've been expressing the view that all cameras are pretty much the same, because they all use the similar technology (give or take) for their sensors. I don't mean to be unnecessarily cruel about the work of camera manufacturers – taking an electronic component such as an imaging sensor and making it into a usable tool is far from trivial. Still, the absolute performance of cameras is determined by what you can get off the lump of silicon behind the lens
RedShark Replay: With H.265 only just becoming common in devices, we revisit this article from 2013 as Phil Rhodes explores the background to HEVC/H.265, and explains what makes it so good at compressing video. Read this if you want to know how almost all video - including 4K - will be delivered in the near future.
This is a topic that nothing else makes much sense without. If you don't understand this stuff, you're likely to make mistakes all the time with video - especiallly now that we're into an era of complex raw workflows and grading. Luckly, you're in safe hands. Phil Rhodes is an expert: he's not just a cinematographer but an engineer as well.
- Sunday 11 Nov 2018 - (180731) In Pursuit Of Excellence: The RØDE Microphone Story
- Wednesday 7 Nov 2018 - (8431) The Dell Precision 7730 could be the fastest performing mobile workstation available today
- Monday 12 Nov 2018 - (5635) Samsung Infinity Flex Display: The foldable screens are finally here
- Wednesday 14 Nov 2018 - (4267) Blackmagic Design updates DaVinci Resolve with over 30 new features
- Monday 5 Nov 2018 - (4251) 8K for €8K: Cinemartin's Fran nears release
- Tuesday 20 Nov 2018 - (100) How to achieve high end VFX results on a tight budget
- Monday 19 Nov 2018 - (841) The 2018 iPad Pro has "laptop humbling performance"
- Monday 19 Nov 2018 - (975) Revoice Pro 4: a must-have piece of audio software?
- Monday 19 Nov 2018 - (780) The internet has made distribution easier than ever, so where are all the indie movies?
- Sunday 18 Nov 2018 - (1037) The EVA1: We talk cameras with Panasonic