Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
A world of colour. The process of colourising photos has been around almost as long as photography itself. Done skillfully and the results can be amazing, but it is fraught with difficulties, and sometimes the results can be a mixed bag. Could artificial intelligence eventually automate the process?
In for the long haul? The idea of archiving and keeping our digital data preserved for decades to come is a problem that most of us will be familiar with. Yet with no long term digital solution forthcoming, film studios are falling back to film technology, even for digitally produced movies.
Modern filmmaking equipment is nothing short of miraculous in terms of its size, weight, power consumption and price-to-performance ratio. There are, however, some things that are regularly assumed about filmmaking in 2017 that are less true than we'd like them to be. Phil Rhodes takes us on a rundown of his top five filming misconceptions.
For anyone struggling to find the budget to fund a brand new camera, a second-hand unit represents good value if you chose the right technology. Phil Rhodes gives us a rundown of some of the camera models to look out for.
In a couple of recent articles, we've discussed ways to get the most computing horsepower for the money, comparing the specifications of various options and considering the expansion and upgrade options. To take that to its natural conclusion, it's not that difficult to build a workstation completely from scratch. Really.
- Sunday 18 Feb 2018 - (81240) Five top tips for colorists
- Sunday 11 Feb 2018 - (35762) All about sensors, lenses and depth of field
- Monday 19 Feb 2018 - (7891) 6 great things we've discovered about DaVinci Resolve
- Thursday 15 Feb 2018 - (5975) You've never seen New York like this: Phil Holland used 3x 8K MONSTRO cameras for this shoot
- Friday 9 Feb 2018 - (5595) Will the Alexa LF make large-format the new normal?
- Wednesday 21 Feb 2018 - (1142) Panasonic announces the worlds first 8K, 60 fps, HDR global shutter CMOS
- Wednesday 21 Feb 2018 - (440) How to set up a neutral-sounding edit room with IK Multimedia's ARC 2.5 system
- Wednesday 21 Feb 2018 - (783) Will VR affect the fate of the world?
- Tuesday 20 Feb 2018 - (769) Here are some important tips for good framing and staging
- Tuesday 20 Feb 2018 - (892) Everything you need to know about colour resolution