Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
Miniatures have been mostly replaced with CGI in todays high tech world of movie production. But minatures have a certain charm, and can still look extremely good indeed, as evidenced by Slice of Life, a Bladerunner inspired fan film that takes low budget miature shots to a whole new level.
8K is most certainly here, and it isn't going away any time soon. But its ultimate success or failure could ride on that most basic of things, the humble HDMI cable. Can the standards keep up, and will the solutions being put forward be detrimental to the resolution being craved in the first place?
It's the place for movie premieres, and it is known the world over. Odeon's Leicester Square cinema has seen it's fair share of stars, but now it is receiving a massive overhaul. Phil Rhodes takes a look at what is being done, and examines the capabilities of the new laser projection system.
With around one and a half years to go until the Tokyo Olympics, Japanese broadcaster NHK is readying for what will inevitably be a watershed point for 8K. But the cameras that will be used, internally at least, be unlike any outside broadcast camera ever used for such an event before. Phil Rhodes looks at current sensor technology and asks what this means for such broadcasts.
Put simply, the Bayer method of producing an image from a single sensor has been the backbone of video imaging technology in the current age of big-chip cameras. But there are new technologies that could define a new period of high performance imaging chips and banish the limitations of the Bayer system to the past.
- Saturday 15 Jun 2019 - (20582) What's it like using a top-end camera (the Sony F65) on a low-budget indie film?
- Friday 14 Jun 2019 - (18088) Here's what happens when DJI and GoPro go head to head
- Saturday 22 Jun 2019 - (10880) How to Make a DCP (Digital Cinema Package)
- Monday 17 Jun 2019 - (6672) Can the DJI Osmo Action cam beat the GoPro Hero 7?
- Saturday 15 Jun 2019 - (6435) This is why we don't do camera "shoot-outs"
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (376) Raspberry Pi now available in new 4K flavour
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (744) Accusonus announces ERA 4, possibly the most simple to use, yet advanced, audio plugins we've seen
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (491) Live from Berlin - Live Production and Streaming for video makers
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (4420) The URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is an entirely new genre of camera
- Monday 24 Jun 2019 - (1052) What the Final Fantasy VII remake tells us about the future of CG