Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
All this talk of 4K, high frame rate, 3D, and ever more precision and information in video signals is a good thing, right? Well, yes, but at some point, an engineering solution has to be designed to let it happen, and there's reason to believe we might be getting a bit ahead of ourselves
Recently I've been expressing the view that all cameras are pretty much the same, because they all use the similar technology (give or take) for their sensors. I don't mean to be unnecessarily cruel about the work of camera manufacturers – taking an electronic component such as an imaging sensor and making it into a usable tool is far from trivial. Still, the absolute performance of cameras is determined by what you can get off the lump of silicon behind the lens
RedShark Replay: With H.265 only just becoming common in devices, we revisit this article from 2013 as Phil Rhodes explores the background to HEVC/H.265, and explains what makes it so good at compressing video. Read this if you want to know how almost all video - including 4K - will be delivered in the near future.
This is a topic that nothing else makes much sense without. If you don't understand this stuff, you're likely to make mistakes all the time with video - especiallly now that we're into an era of complex raw workflows and grading. Luckly, you're in safe hands. Phil Rhodes is an expert: he's not just a cinematographer but an engineer as well.
- Thursday 4 Oct 2018 - (19041) Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K: The comprehensive review you have been waiting for!
- Thursday 11 Oct 2018 - (10015) BMPCC4K: This might be the holy grail of portable cinema cameras
- Saturday 13 Oct 2018 - (9877) Peter Jackson's restoration and colourisation of 100 year old World War One footage makes it painfully real
- Monday 8 Oct 2018 - (8944) Our comprehensive BMPCC4K review continues: Setup, audio and HFR
- Saturday 6 Oct 2018 - (6229) Building the 10-bit desktop display
- Thursday 18 Oct 2018 - (148) Amazing video showing the secrets of capturing a falcon in flight
- Thursday 18 Oct 2018 - (744) Lightworks 14.5 adds 70 new features
- Thursday 18 Oct 2018 - (1162) Traditional techniques make First Man an immersive and authentic cinematic experience
- Wednesday 17 Oct 2018 - (1003) Teradek gives new graphics power to live streamers
- Wednesday 17 Oct 2018 - (803) We are getting closer to being able to build a big, bad ARM based workstation, assuming we could ever get software for it!