Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
As we saw in my previous article on sensor technology, we can now build sensors with enormous numbers attached to them - if not trivially, at least reliably. Given that current 4K sensors are more than adequate to replace 35mm film in terms of sheer resolution, we need to be careful about turning this into a numbers game.
RedShark Replay: One of the earliest articles we published on RedShark, but still mostly relevant today. As digital video cameras get better, and their users become more ambitious, LUTs are used to preserve or manipulate the images. Understanding LUTs is now key to setting up a production workflow
I recently encountered a thread on one of my favourite forums in which someone was asking for opinions on a Canon EOS-60D package he'd seen on ebay. This package included the 60D body and extras including three lenses including a battery, charger, flash cards, various filters and diopters, cleaning kit, tripod, and more. All of this was neatly photographed and posted for sale on Ebay by a vendor we'll call, in order to protect the guilty, Pretty Cheap Digital, based in New York
If you're one of the people who's preordered a Blackmagic Cinema Camera, unless you're very lucky, you will probably have noticed that you don't actually have one yet. RedShark, in common with the rest of the world’s media, is eagerly awaiting the arrival of a camera to put through its paces.
- Saturday 4 Aug 2018 - (29409) Vintage lenses for large-sensor cameras - Part 1
- Saturday 11 Aug 2018 - (24099) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Monday 6 Aug 2018 - (12840) Cheaper graphics cards? There’s a reason for that
- Friday 3 Aug 2018 - (11842) Can open source software ever compete with commercial alternatives? [opinion]
- Tuesday 31 Jul 2018 - (7593) Is it worth buying ultra-cheap SSDs?
- Tuesday 14 Aug 2018 - (350) Nvidia's staggeringly powerful new GPU means the future just got closer by ten years
- Tuesday 14 Aug 2018 - (629) The cutting edge of CGI is back with SIGGRAPH 2018
- Tuesday 14 Aug 2018 - (4758) PXW-Z280: Back to the future with Sony's new 3 sensor masterpiece
- Monday 13 Aug 2018 - (2225) Blackmagic Resolve Beta is over. Release software is now available
- Monday 13 Aug 2018 - (686) Creating the perfect stock footage [sponsored]