Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
Replay: Phil Rhodes explains why luminance is so important within photography
Digital video has always meant moving a lot of data around inside a computer. And as computers get ever more powerful, Phil Rhodes explains what really goes on inside your video workstation.
- HD Video
- expansion devices
- memory controller
- QuickPath Interconnect
- Quick Path Interconnect
- PCB traces
- Peripheral Component Interconnect
- PCI Express
- serial Bus
- Frontside Bus
- hard disks
It is, to put it mildly, no great secret that the film industry can be a somewhat difficult place to find work, in a similar way that the north face of the Eiger can be a somewhat difficult place for an afternoon stroll
When CDs first appeared in the early '80s, Phillips said they'd give us "Perfect sound, for ever". Well, they don't give us perfect sound, and they don't last for ever. Nor do the recordable versions of optical digital media. In fact, they're a lot less robust. But there's a new option, as Phil Rhodes explains
"...it's perhaps surprising that the Super-8 film format is still – in what we might have expected to be the twilight of its years – quite popular. The popularity of retro-styled web imaging services like Instagram is another instance of what I suspect may be the same trend, and goes some way toward confirming the suspicion that distressed images are now just as fashionable as distressed jeans"
All this talk of 4K, high frame rate, 3D, and ever more precision and information in video signals is a good thing, right? Well, yes, but at some point, an engineering solution has to be designed to let it happen, and there's reason to believe we might be getting a bit ahead of ourselves
- Sunday 18 Mar 2018 - (33958) This may be the most important lesson about colour you'll ever see
- Sunday 11 Mar 2018 - (31041) How To Edit. Part 1: Preparation
- Wednesday 14 Mar 2018 - (28087) Opinion: Will all cameras eventually have to have Global Shutters?
- Wednesday 14 Mar 2018 - (5227) Four techniques that are certain to revolutionise cameras
- Wednesday 7 Mar 2018 - (4861) Roger Deakins finally just won an Oscar. Here's his story
- Tuesday 20 Mar 2018 - (847) This amazing music video shows industrial robots as you've never seen them before
- Tuesday 20 Mar 2018 - (979) Resolution: We discuss Pixel Power with RED's Graeme Nattress
- Tuesday 20 Mar 2018 - (1169) Your lens choice is as important as an artists choice of brush
- Monday 19 Mar 2018 - (884) Nominate your favourite products for the NAB RedShark Awards
- Monday 19 Mar 2018 - (2730) Sigma Cine Lenses could be the perfect match of price point and performance [Review]