Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
An 8K camera with a sensor even bigger than a Vistavision frame for under twenty thousand euros is an enticing proposition. The specs for Cinemartin's Fran camera, an 8K device with a truly huge sensor, emerged about six months ago, and promised much. Now we've got our hands on one, is it too good to be true?
Computational photography techniques are now commonplace on smartphones, allowing tiny sensors to achieve amazing results. Phil Rhodes asks, why hasn't computational cinematography in bigger cameras yet become normal?
About a year ago, we covered the ISO and ASA systems as they apply differently to film and video cameras. There's been a lot of interest in that article, especially when it was republished more recently, with a lot of discussion about the details of how modern cameras implement their sensitivity settings. Phil Rhodes delves in even further.
According to Ridley Scott's 1982 sci-fi Blade Runner, by this year, Los Angeles should have degenerated into a horizon-wide field of dystopian towerblocks, locked in a permanent neon-lit night. For better or worse, that hasn't happened, although some of the other technological leaps shown in the film sort of have...
- Saturday 15 Jun 2019 - (20582) What's it like using a top-end camera (the Sony F65) on a low-budget indie film?
- Friday 14 Jun 2019 - (18085) Here's what happens when DJI and GoPro go head to head
- Saturday 22 Jun 2019 - (10878) How to Make a DCP (Digital Cinema Package)
- Monday 17 Jun 2019 - (6671) Can the DJI Osmo Action cam beat the GoPro Hero 7?
- Saturday 15 Jun 2019 - (6435) This is why we don't do camera "shoot-outs"
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (357) Raspberry Pi now available in new 4K flavour
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (732) Accusonus announces ERA 4, possibly the most simple to use, yet advanced, audio plugins we've seen
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (486) Live from Berlin - Live Production and Streaming for video makers
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (4372) The URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is an entirely new genre of camera
- Monday 24 Jun 2019 - (1049) What the Final Fantasy VII remake tells us about the future of CG