Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
Now, *this* is how to create a TV ident. Radiodiffusion-Télévision Française's original Eurovision logo was mixed in live from a camera pointed at a cat's cradle of string. Phil Rhodes reckons the all-pervasiveness of CGI means we've lost something along the way.
Having concluded in a previous piece that compression was a disaster, it's somewhat comforting to realise that an increasing number of cameras now allow us to record pictures which are uncompressed, nearly uncompressed, raw, or some combination of those things.
RedShark Review: LED panels are now available at every level of the market, from the homemade all the way up to the gold-plated, with a bewildering selection of products at more or less every budget level. Aputure's new Tri8 LED panel sits pretty firmly in the middle and, as such, has more than a few interesting details to consider.
- Saturday 9 Sep 2017 - (47598) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 - (8506) Canon announces two new fixed lens 4K camcorders with high frame rate capabilities
- Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 - (7751) HP boasts new workstation is ‘the most powerful on the planet’
- Friday 15 Sep 2017 - (7018) Sony's new 120fps 8K broadcast camera offers a step change for live broadcasting
- Sunday 17 Sep 2017 - (5292) Panasonic updates us on the amazing AU-EVA1 camcorder plus new footage [Video]
- Friday 22 Sep 2017 - (66) First footage from the new Sony CineAlta VENICE
- Thursday 21 Sep 2017 - (364) Ignite Express: a very capable set of free plugins
- Thursday 21 Sep 2017 - (777) When a lens is more than just a lens: Introducing ZEISS eXtended Data [Sponsored]
- Thursday 21 Sep 2017 - (702) How the DSLR revolution changed the way we look at cameras — part 2
- Wednesday 20 Sep 2017 - (554) The Core SWX Bolt 250 - smaller and lighter, it's the ideal on camera light