Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
There was a time when we could choose between a whole selection of film stocks from at least three different companies — negative, reversal, black-and-white, not to mention post tricks such as bleach bypass. To some extent, we can still do those things, but this raises an awkward question: why can't I press a button on my digital camera to make it shoot black-and-white? Or something else?
None more green! Several very important pieces of film and TV technology rely on the assumption that human beings can see green light best and that we can see sharp edges most clearly when they're rendered in shades of green, rather than any other colour. Why?
Phil Rhodes looks at the most commonly used lens mounts in the industry, what they're used for, and what adaptation options there are for users to prevent lock-in to a technology that may not always suit their purposes.
Whether it’s because CG is getting so good it is indistinguishable from reality or that, in this era of fake news, trust has broken down, but more and more productions now feel they have to state up front that we're watching real-world photography when something spectacular takes place on screen.
- Saturday 9 Sep 2017 - (47593) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 - (8506) Canon announces two new fixed lens 4K camcorders with high frame rate capabilities
- Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 - (7750) HP boasts new workstation is ‘the most powerful on the planet’
- Friday 15 Sep 2017 - (7018) Sony's new 120fps 8K broadcast camera offers a step change for live broadcasting
- Sunday 17 Sep 2017 - (5290) Panasonic updates us on the amazing AU-EVA1 camcorder plus new footage [Video]
- Thursday 21 Sep 2017 - (351) Ignite Express: a very capable set of free plugins
- Thursday 21 Sep 2017 - (766) When a lens is more than just a lens: Introducing ZEISS eXtended Data [Sponsored]
- Thursday 21 Sep 2017 - (701) How the DSLR revolution changed the way we look at cameras — part 2
- Wednesday 20 Sep 2017 - (554) The Core SWX Bolt 250 - smaller and lighter, it's the ideal on camera light
- Wednesday 20 Sep 2017 - (1570) Ladies and gentlemen, we are photo-real objects floating in space