Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
HDR is here, but not everything is rosey. Technology still has a way to go before giving us truly reliable, and versatile HDR in a consumer setting. But with challenges come solutions, and it could mean that before long everyone's TV could be reference quality.
Anyone who spent some time hanging around film sets at the end of last year, especially in Northern Ireland, would have seen crew wearing “we survived 40 days of nights” sweatshirts. These commemorated the gruelling schedule (actually spanning 55 days) during which one of the most expansive battle scenes in film and television history was put before the camera. It's spectacular, but there have been gentle comments that the sequence was – well – a little heavy on shadow. So here's our rundown of some very big LEDs.
One of the things new technology makes easier is designing new technology. That’s good news for everyone, but it’s particularly useful in niche industries like film and TV where there’s a constant need for high-tech devices in numbers that don’t really support the large volumes of normal (or at least, historically normal) manufacturing practices.
- Saturday 15 Jun 2019 - (20582) What's it like using a top-end camera (the Sony F65) on a low-budget indie film?
- Friday 14 Jun 2019 - (18084) Here's what happens when DJI and GoPro go head to head
- Saturday 22 Jun 2019 - (10877) How to Make a DCP (Digital Cinema Package)
- Monday 17 Jun 2019 - (6670) Can the DJI Osmo Action cam beat the GoPro Hero 7?
- Saturday 15 Jun 2019 - (6434) This is why we don't do camera "shoot-outs"
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (353) Raspberry Pi now available in new 4K flavour
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (718) Accusonus announces ERA 4, possibly the most simple to use, yet advanced, audio plugins we've seen
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (484) Live from Berlin - Live Production and Streaming for video makers
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (4338) The URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is an entirely new genre of camera
- Monday 24 Jun 2019 - (1048) What the Final Fantasy VII remake tells us about the future of CG