Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
A world of colour. The process of colourising photos has been around almost as long as photography itself. Done skillfully and the results can be amazing, but it is fraught with difficulties, and sometimes the results can be a mixed bag. Could artificial intelligence eventually automate the process?
In for the long haul? The idea of archiving and keeping our digital data preserved for decades to come is a problem that most of us will be familiar with. Yet with no long term digital solution forthcoming, film studios are falling back to film technology, even for digitally produced movies.
Modern filmmaking equipment is nothing short of miraculous in terms of its size, weight, power consumption and price-to-performance ratio. There are, however, some things that are regularly assumed about filmmaking in 2017 that are less true than we'd like them to be. Phil Rhodes takes us on a rundown of his top five filming misconceptions.
For anyone struggling to find the budget to fund a brand new camera, a second-hand unit represents good value if you chose the right technology. Phil Rhodes gives us a rundown of some of the camera models to look out for.
In a couple of recent articles, we've discussed ways to get the most computing horsepower for the money, comparing the specifications of various options and considering the expansion and upgrade options. To take that to its natural conclusion, it's not that difficult to build a workstation completely from scratch. Really.
- Saturday 9 Sep 2017 - (47594) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 - (8506) Canon announces two new fixed lens 4K camcorders with high frame rate capabilities
- Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 - (7750) HP boasts new workstation is ‘the most powerful on the planet’
- Friday 15 Sep 2017 - (7018) Sony's new 120fps 8K broadcast camera offers a step change for live broadcasting
- Sunday 17 Sep 2017 - (5290) Panasonic updates us on the amazing AU-EVA1 camcorder plus new footage [Video]
- Thursday 21 Sep 2017 - (353) Ignite Express: a very capable set of free plugins
- Thursday 21 Sep 2017 - (766) When a lens is more than just a lens: Introducing ZEISS eXtended Data [Sponsored]
- Thursday 21 Sep 2017 - (701) How the DSLR revolution changed the way we look at cameras — part 2
- Wednesday 20 Sep 2017 - (554) The Core SWX Bolt 250 - smaller and lighter, it's the ideal on camera light
- Wednesday 20 Sep 2017 - (1570) Ladies and gentlemen, we are photo-real objects floating in space