Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
Feature films of days gone past were really quite grainy compared to the pictures produced by a modern digital camera. We didn't complain too much then and just accepted it as part of the look. Should we be placing less emphasis on noise if it means a more emotionally resonant picture is produced?
RedShark review: Most people are aware of what an ND filter is. Making a good one, though, is one of those things that's simple in concept but hard to do well. PolarPro have perhaps been best known for making filters to suit the tiny lenses on adventure cameras and drones, but their new QuartzLine range is designed to suit larger lenses.
We don't usually think about the skill of the camera operator while kicking back with a beer while watching the football. But what we forget is that being a sports camerman isn't just highly skilled, its probably the most highly skilled niche in camera work! With the World Cup in full play, here's our tribute to sports camera people everywhere. Even if you don't like football.
- Friday 7 Sep 2018 - (35285) We've tried the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. Here's all you need to know
- Saturday 8 Sep 2018 - (33244) For all film makers: How to avoid losing your stuff and where to put it
- Friday 14 Sep 2018 - (8298) Blackmagic Design announces advanced new Blackmagic Raw Codec
- Saturday 15 Sep 2018 - (7060) What’s coming to Adobe Creative Cloud?
- Friday 7 Sep 2018 - (6461) This is the most impressive photo of a cat taken on a phone we have ever seen
- Tuesday 18 Sep 2018 - (369) We could be seeing the end of Moore's Law, but not for the reasons you think
- Tuesday 18 Sep 2018 - (1909) Smartphones are now a serious photography tool [opinion]
- Monday 17 Sep 2018 - (2477) Significant performance increases are promised with Intel's 9th Gen. Coffee Lake refresh
- Monday 17 Sep 2018 - (3849) Dell's UP3218K - a monitor with more resolution that most DSLRs!
- Monday 17 Sep 2018 - (5378) Is DaVinci Resolve now the ultimate end-to-end production suite?