Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
The market for 7-inch, on-camera monitors is a crowded one. Undeterred, Cinemartin, the Barcelona-based manufacturer of a wide variety of camera accessories, has just announced a new high-brightness display, the Eclipse, which might just be small enough and bright enough to stand out from the crowd.
Going off the beaten track. When we talk about portability of equipment for remote shooting, there is one aspect that is most often neglected. Lighting. Phil Rhodes takes us through the option when it comes to shedding light on things in a remote setting.
RedShark Review: It's long been a popular idea to strap a light on top of a camera, which is probably why there are so many options at so many price points. Core SWX's Bolt 250 is a recent addition to the world of on-camera lights. It has been shown at NAB and is priced toward the upper end of the market. Because of this and because there are so many options, the difference is really in the details.
Every so often, someone will dig through a box full of old junk and turn up a bit of ancient film which turns out to be the new, earliest example of some particular technique. Such is the case with a bit of colour footage, discovered in 2012, of, er, some children hitting an aquarium with some flowers - in summer 1902, and shot by filmmaker, Edward Turner.
- Friday 7 Sep 2018 - (35291) We've tried the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. Here's all you need to know
- Saturday 8 Sep 2018 - (33244) For all film makers: How to avoid losing your stuff and where to put it
- Friday 14 Sep 2018 - (8303) Blackmagic Design announces advanced new Blackmagic Raw Codec
- Saturday 15 Sep 2018 - (7068) What’s coming to Adobe Creative Cloud?
- Friday 7 Sep 2018 - (6461) This is the most impressive photo of a cat taken on a phone we have ever seen
- Tuesday 18 Sep 2018 - (385) We could be seeing the end of Moore's Law, but not for the reasons you think
- Tuesday 18 Sep 2018 - (1959) Smartphones are now a serious photography tool [opinion]
- Monday 17 Sep 2018 - (2503) Significant performance increases are promised with Intel's 9th Gen. Coffee Lake refresh
- Monday 17 Sep 2018 - (3870) Dell's UP3218K - a monitor with more resolution that most DSLRs!
- Monday 17 Sep 2018 - (5444) Is DaVinci Resolve now the ultimate end-to-end production suite?