Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
Miniatures have been mostly replaced with CGI in todays high tech world of movie production. But minatures have a certain charm, and can still look extremely good indeed, as evidenced by Slice of Life, a Bladerunner inspired fan film that takes low budget miature shots to a whole new level.
8K is most certainly here, and it isn't going away any time soon. But its ultimate success or failure could ride on that most basic of things, the humble HDMI cable. Can the standards keep up, and will the solutions being put forward be detrimental to the resolution being craved in the first place?
It's the place for movie premieres, and it is known the world over. Odeon's Leicester Square cinema has seen it's fair share of stars, but now it is receiving a massive overhaul. Phil Rhodes takes a look at what is being done, and examines the capabilities of the new laser projection system.
With around one and a half years to go until the Tokyo Olympics, Japanese broadcaster NHK is readying for what will inevitably be a watershed point for 8K. But the cameras that will be used, internally at least, be unlike any outside broadcast camera ever used for such an event before. Phil Rhodes looks at current sensor technology and asks what this means for such broadcasts.
Put simply, the Bayer method of producing an image from a single sensor has been the backbone of video imaging technology in the current age of big-chip cameras. But there are new technologies that could define a new period of high performance imaging chips and banish the limitations of the Bayer system to the past.
- Monday 7 Jan 2019 - (13252) No, Apple hasn't abandoned professionals and it's not going bust. Here's why.
- Monday 14 Jan 2019 - (8580) If you thought data wrangling on earth was hard, spare a thought for NASA!
- Thursday 3 Jan 2019 - (7072) A new take on HDR: One of the best explanations you'll see
- Wednesday 9 Jan 2019 - (5091) Atomos hints at a new type of future for video makers
- Tuesday 15 Jan 2019 - (5088) No, 8k isn't going to fail just like 3D. Here's why
- Friday 18 Jan 2019 - (212) This is why drone filming can never reach its true potential
- Thursday 17 Jan 2019 - (510) Escape From New York was a triumph of minimalist soundtrack design
- Thursday 17 Jan 2019 - (1647) What's the difference between log modes and HDR?
- Thursday 17 Jan 2019 - (1384) Before you buy a vintage lens, you might want to read this first
- Wednesday 16 Jan 2019 - (4133) Why do we keep thinking in 35mm for focal lengths?