Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
Not a day goes by when we don't hear of some sort of start-up trying to build a new cinema camera. But we have to admit that the Octopus Cinema Camera looks very promising indeed. It's real for a start, not just a computer render. Could we be seeing the beginning of a successful new upstart?
The 1980's were a hotbed of format wars. How did we survive? And more importantly, did a company really try and sell us a video tape that you could turn over? Phil Rhodes starts a two part series delving into the murky world of recording formats that never made it.
It’s not normally our purpose here to review film and TV productions. Occasionally, though, something emerges that’s so unique that it bears talking about, if only because it’s sometimes healthy to stop counting megapixels and look closely at what all this is really supposed to be about. We take a look at HBO/Sky's recent harrowing and thoughtfelt miniseries, Chernobyl.
These cameras were way ahead of their time, but have been consigned to history. Phil Rhodes continues his examination of cameras that really should have been much more successful, but that had their light extinguished almost before they were a blink in the eye of a photon.
HDR is a whole new world for both consumers and professionals alike. In this interview with senior colourist Toby Tomkins from Cheat, he sheds light on the current state of play when grading HDR, and how the Dolby Vision system affects grades.
- Saturday 15 Jun 2019 - (20590) What's it like using a top-end camera (the Sony F65) on a low-budget indie film?
- Friday 14 Jun 2019 - (18107) Here's what happens when DJI and GoPro go head to head
- Saturday 22 Jun 2019 - (10895) How to Make a DCP (Digital Cinema Package)
- Monday 17 Jun 2019 - (6685) Can the DJI Osmo Action cam beat the GoPro Hero 7?
- Saturday 15 Jun 2019 - (6438) This is why we don't do camera "shoot-outs"
- Wednesday 26 Jun 2019 - (261) How to make an impressively deepfake Tom Cruise
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (569) Raspberry Pi now available in new 4K flavour
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (940) Accusonus announces ERA 4, possibly the most simple to use, yet advanced, audio plugins we've seen
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (569) Live from Berlin - Live Production and Streaming for video makers
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (4853) The URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is an entirely new genre of camera