Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
Resolutions above 4K are now a fact of life, so as we enter NAB 2019, the question isn't about whether we need it, but what are manufacturers doing to help us deal with it? Phil Rhodes hopes this is a year when we get some sort hint of standardisation.
No matter how much we try to evaluate cameras in terms of hard numbers, things like dynamic range, resolution and noise floor, people will still ignore them and go with what looks nicest, which isn't necessarily the same thing. What's more, the very idea that any modern camera actually has a fixed look is fairly dubious in itself.
We have a problem. The progress at which editing computers are developing and increasing in speed isn't necessarily keeping pace with the ever increasing resolutions of video. Will we ever reach a perfect nirvana of truly affordable computers that can handle 8K and above with ease when CPU speeds have seemingly stalled?
When you push the boundries of technological progress it stands to reason that more than a few ideas will fail to catch on. Camera history is full of examples of devices that for whatever reason faded into obscurity. In the first of a multi-part series, and with NAB just around the corner, Phil Rhodes takes a look at cameras and technology that promised a lot, but just didn't catch on.
- Monday 8 Apr 2019 - (19221) Blackmagic Design's radical new video editor
- Friday 12 Apr 2019 - (13212) FeiyuTech introduces a new action camera along with innovative gimbal technology
- Friday 5 Apr 2019 - (7283) Ten things not to miss at NAB 2019
- Monday 8 Apr 2019 - (6233) DaVinci Resolve 16 is here, and make no mistake, this is a big update
- Sunday 7 Apr 2019 - (5949) Sony focuses on extending the capabilities of existing hardware at NAB 2019
- Thursday 18 Apr 2019 - (281) Sony’s next PlayStation will feature 8K games
- Thursday 18 Apr 2019 - (443) NAB 2019: NewTek adds Tricaster features & more
- Thursday 18 Apr 2019 - (1263) HP Optane memory can provide huge capacities, but could eliminate lost work too
- Wednesday 17 Apr 2019 - (862) You can't properly judge a camera by the picture you are seeing
- Wednesday 17 Apr 2019 - (1075) NAB 2019: Less is more with Resolve 16