Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
Review: Sound Forge is a piece of software or, perhaps better, a family of software, with a history so long that early versions could be run under Windows 3.1. Phil Rhodes takes a look at Sound Forge Audio Cleaning Lab, an offshoot designed for, you've guessed it, cleaning up your audio.
The two Star Trek series Deep Space Nine and Voyager are still not available in HD. Both were shot on film and could be beautifully remastered in exactly the same way as the first two series produced under the Star Trek banner. It hasn’t happened and it doesn’t look like there’s any realistic chance of it happening. Why?
Current 'affordable' cameras can produce incredibly high quality images that not only hold up on a big screen, but can excel at it to the point where highly reputable and experience DPs have been known not to be able to tell them apart from the high end options. We ask what the real reasons are for not using lower cost cameras on big features. The answers may not be as straightforward as you were expecting.
Practical effects are back in a big way, and audiences are really appreciating it. From real explosions, to Tom Cruise actually flying that helicopter, you can't beat reality for the most engaging action sequences. Phil Rhodes took a visit to top visual effects house Artem, and picked up some great advice for people on low budgets, too.
Line skipping and pixel binning always gets a bad rap from the video community. But scaling an image from a large, high pixel count sensor is never going to be easy. Prompted from some recent comments on RedShark, this is Phil Rhode's guide to the complicated and controversial business of scaling.
- Saturday 17 Aug 2019 - (34141) This is how you animate an eyeball. (This is the best 3D animation we've ever seen.)
- Monday 12 Aug 2019 - (14060) BMPCC 6K: We have one, and here are our first impressions
- Thursday 8 Aug 2019 - (11198) Blackmagic's new BMPCC 6K is here!
- Thursday 8 Aug 2019 - (10579) Liveblog - New Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 6K with EF Mount
- Thursday 15 Aug 2019 - (7988) This might be the most powerful workstation you can buy
- Friday 23 Aug 2019 - (309) Bounced light produces amazing results, so why has it fallen out of fashion?
- Thursday 22 Aug 2019 - (2210) Here's the first in-depth review of Blackmagic's Pocket Cinema Camera 6K
- Thursday 22 Aug 2019 - (5224) You know what? Windows is a good operating system
- Wednesday 21 Aug 2019 - (1508) When someone says 'it’ll never work’ it often means that it will
- Wednesday 21 Aug 2019 - (1371) Rotating tape heads were necessary at the time but nobody's sorry to see them go