Adam Hamer is a Director of Photography and writer based in Los Angeles with 13 years of experience in the film and broadcast industry
With the increasing popularity of vintage lenses and glass with exotic coatings, comes a key question, what are these lens coatings made out of and how safe are they to handle? [Note that, as some commenters have rightly pointed out, this is NOT a scientific paper. It's here for interest and maybe to spark further research. We actually have no substantial grounds for claiming these lenses are dangerous, and of course all radioactivity is dose-dependent. Despite these reservations, we thought the article was interesting, while fully taking on board that it might not stand up to full scientific scrutiny.]
Cinematographers will often have a favourite lens or set of lenses that gives them the look they are after. With the demand for vintage lenses, Adam Hamer postulates whether the glass in front of your camera is the cinematography equivilent of a an artists paintbrush.
Technology has always been an enabler. With more power to prototype and manufacture being placed into the hands of people who in years gone by could not even dream of such things, will open source cameras eventually replace our reliance on the big manufacturers?
Ever increasing resolutions and complexity introduced by new technology such as HDR means that the post production world is constantly having to evolve to ensure a smooth ride. Adam Hamer takes a look at the current state of play.
- Saturday 4 Aug 2018 - (29501) Vintage lenses for large-sensor cameras - Part 1
- Saturday 11 Aug 2018 - (24228) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Monday 6 Aug 2018 - (12957) Cheaper graphics cards? There’s a reason for that
- Friday 3 Aug 2018 - (12012) Can open source software ever compete with commercial alternatives? [opinion]
- Tuesday 14 Aug 2018 - (8043) PXW-Z280: Back to the future with Sony's new 3 sensor masterpiece
- Friday 17 Aug 2018 - (306) Dell shows off its new laptop cinema experience features
- Friday 17 Aug 2018 - (390) Has TV-on-demand become too good? [opinion]
- Thursday 16 Aug 2018 - (1269) Angelbird RAW ECO SSD: Reliability and speed at an exceptional price
- Thursday 16 Aug 2018 - (1207) Watch the recording of RedShark Live with the EVA1 5.7K RAW and live switching with the Atomos Sumo
- Thursday 16 Aug 2018 - (565) What are the most promising technologies we are waiting for?