Neil is a UK-based director of photography who has worked in the USA, Europe and Japan. Upcoming features he shot include The Little Mermaid with Academy Award winner Shirley MacLaine, and supernatural thriller Heretiks with Michael Ironside. He has photographed another half-dozen independent features, innumerable shorts, several music promos and two multi-award-winning short-form action/adventure series. In the last couple of years Neil has been nominated for nine Best Cinematography awards and took home the gong at Festigious International Film Festival 2016 for his work on the short drama Night Owls. Second only to his love of cinematography is his passion for sharing his knowledge of it on his blog neiloseman.com and his Instagram feed.
We’ve all been there. It’s halfway through the afternoon, you’ve only just wrapped the scene you were meant to finish by lunch, and now you have to cram the rest of the day’s material into a couple of hours. How can you do it?
Lighting and shaping a human face well is one of the most difficult things to do for a cinematographer. There are all sorts of variations that prevent a 'one solution fits all' approach. Neil Oseman passes on some tips on shining the best light on people.
Replay - To celebrate the recent Oscar win for both Best Cinemtography and Best Visual Effects for Blade Runner 2049, we thought we'd give you another chance to read this highly popular article by Neil Oseman. Neil takes a look at the photographic style Roger Deakins employed for the sci-fi sequel and how it plays into the movie’s themes.
- Sunday 24 Nov 2019 - (49605) Why can't there just be one, really good, codec?
- Sunday 1 Dec 2019 - (17534) How George Lucas pioneered the use of Digital Video in feature films with the Sony HDW F900
- Tuesday 26 Nov 2019 - (12680) HERO8 Black: GoPro might just have changed the game yet again
- Thursday 5 Dec 2019 - (6659) Find out which CPU is best for DaVinci Resolve
- Saturday 30 Nov 2019 - (5847) The HERO8 Black is a little marvel of a camera.
- Saturday 7 Dec 2019 - (408) How to use Resolve's Cut Page for multi-angle editing
- Friday 6 Dec 2019 - (824) The quality of your cables really does matter
- Friday 6 Dec 2019 - (2858) Learn precisely how to colour grade in this comprehensive new tutorial series
- Friday 6 Dec 2019 - (1067) Colour is still incredibly important... even if you are shooting in black & white
- Thursday 5 Dec 2019 - (972) RedShark Connect: Filmmaking on the Move - Holiday Edition!