Neil is a UK-based director of photography who has worked in the USA, Europe and Japan. Upcoming features he shot include The Little Mermaid with Academy Award winner Shirley MacLaine, and supernatural thriller Heretiks with Michael Ironside. He has photographed another half-dozen independent features, innumerable shorts, several music promos and two multi-award-winning short-form action/adventure series. In the last couple of years Neil has been nominated for nine Best Cinematography awards and took home the gong at Festigious International Film Festival 2016 for his work on the short drama Night Owls. Second only to his love of cinematography is his passion for sharing his knowledge of it on his blog neiloseman.com and his Instagram feed.
Showing the best side. Lighting a face well can be one of the most difficult aspects of cinematography. But there are also a few guidelines you can always bear in mind to help you along the way. Here Neil Oseman shares one of the secrets to lighting a face well, and also how to break with convention when required.
Delving deeper into light. Lighting is the single most important aspect of filmmaking of any kind. Without it, film has no shape, no mood, no atmosphere, and no dimension. DP Neil Oseman takes us on a journey to achieving depth through lighting.
- Saturday 9 Sep 2017 - (47762) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 - (8613) Canon announces two new fixed lens 4K camcorders with high frame rate capabilities
- Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 - (7921) HP boasts new workstation is ‘the most powerful on the planet’
- Friday 15 Sep 2017 - (7129) Sony's new 120fps 8K broadcast camera offers a step change for live broadcasting
- Sunday 17 Sep 2017 - (5417) Panasonic updates us on the amazing AU-EVA1 camcorder plus new footage [Video]
- Saturday 23 Sep 2017 - (72) How to travel with your drone
- Friday 22 Sep 2017 - (870) Remembering Final Cut Pro 7 - the end of an era
- Friday 22 Sep 2017 - (789) Atomos Sumo monitors to receive new capabilities with firmware updates [Video]
- Friday 22 Sep 2017 - (1087) IBC 2017 - Have manufacturers stopped playing the numbers game?
- Friday 22 Sep 2017 - (4409) First footage from the new Sony CineAlta VENICE