Flying high. With the easy availablity of compact drones such as the DJI Phantom and GoPro Karma, the opportunities to shoot sweeping cinematic vistas on a budget are better than ever before. But in order to get the best image from these devices, sometimes the camera needs a bit of a helping hand.
Every so often, we take a look at which gear is getting ready to peak over the horizon and there’s no better place to find new tech for shooting film and video than sites like Kickstarter and its ilk. So what’s grabbing our attention this time around?
All too often, you may be stuck with needing to shoot an interview or take a photo and you only have one light to shine on your subject. Ordinarily, that would mean long shadows and an unappealing image, but with a few bounce boards you can create the look of 3-point lighting and save the day.
The more mobile we get as content creators, the more cumbersome it becomes to bring a tripod along with us. But that doesn’t change the need for stable images and videos, so what is a shooter to do? Well, there are plenty of other ways to skin the stability cat.
Black and white digital cameras are fascinating. With no Bayer filter, you capture the full resolution of the sensor. The Phase One IQ3 has an astonishing 100 Megapixel sensor. Surely this is the ultimate black and white camera? Even if, unfortunately, it doesn't capture video
Before you go out and pay $300-500 or more on a new lens, wouldn't it help to know what kind of pictures that lens will actually give you? That's where Lens vs. Lens, a website that uses photos from Flickr to show you how lenses perform, comes in handy.
- Saturday 9 Sep 2017 - (47350) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 6 Sep 2017 - (11659) Venice is the new 6K full frame CineAlta camera from Sony
- Tuesday 5 Sep 2017 - (11461) Sony RX0: probably the best action cam so far!
- Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 - (8258) Canon announces two new fixed lens 4K camcorders with high frame rate capabilities
- Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 - (7314) HP boasts new workstation is ‘the most powerful on the planet’
- Tuesday 19 Sep 2017 - (803) The winners of the RedShark News awards at IBC 2017 announced
- Monday 18 Sep 2017 - (600) Avid’s MediaCentral promises to speed up collaborative workflows
- Monday 18 Sep 2017 - (575) RØDE goes wireless for vocal performance
- Monday 18 Sep 2017 - (1139) Metadata capable lenses from Zeiss help to smooth post workflows [video]
- Monday 18 Sep 2017 - (2551) The latest from Blackmagic Design at IBC 2017 [video]