One of the quiet little revolutions going on in stills photography is the return to shooting pictures on film. With SLR film cameras and lenses cheap and easy to find on eBay, and with digital shooters wanting a retro look beyond the digital manipulation achievable with software, it’s easy to see why Kodak is bringing back one of the most iconic film stocks ever. Ektachrome.
It's been eagerly awaited, but GoPro has now unveiled the latest in its Hero series of cameras, the Hero 6, replete with an all new custom GoPro designed processor. George Shaw gives us the lowdown on this and the other new product announcements from the company.
If you’re travelling overseas, bringing along your drone can be a dicey affair. Sometimes, you may even have it confiscated, never to see it again. But with a little preplanning and researching local UAV restrictions, you can bring along a drone and get those great aerial shots. Don't leave home until you've read this essential guide by George Shaw.
Flying high. With the easy availablity of compact drones such as the DJI Phantom and GoPro Karma, the opportunities to shoot sweeping cinematic vistas on a budget are better than ever before. But in order to get the best image from these devices, sometimes the camera needs a bit of a helping hand.
Every so often, we take a look at which gear is getting ready to peak over the horizon and there’s no better place to find new tech for shooting film and video than sites like Kickstarter and its ilk. So what’s grabbing our attention this time around?
All too often, you may be stuck with needing to shoot an interview or take a photo and you only have one light to shine on your subject. Ordinarily, that would mean long shadows and an unappealing image, but with a few bounce boards you can create the look of 3-point lighting and save the day.
The more mobile we get as content creators, the more cumbersome it becomes to bring a tripod along with us. But that doesn’t change the need for stable images and videos, so what is a shooter to do? Well, there are plenty of other ways to skin the stability cat.
- Sunday 9 Dec 2018 - (100528) 11 things video editors wish they could say to camera operators and DOPs
- Sunday 16 Dec 2018 - (23958) The art of Colour Rendering
- Tuesday 11 Dec 2018 - (14515) Samsung's new 860 QVO SSDs could be the start of an SSD capacity revolution
- Friday 14 Dec 2018 - (9182) Canon EOS R: Flawed or fundamentally different?
- Friday 7 Dec 2018 - (8507) Blackmagic Design demonstrates that crime doesn't pay
- Wednesday 19 Dec 2018 - (443) Intel skips a generation with new Gen 11 "Sunny Cove" processors
- Tuesday 18 Dec 2018 - (611) 4K makes old films look better than they did in the cinema
- Tuesday 18 Dec 2018 - (6025) The Dell Precision 5530 2-in-1 will change your idea of what a workstation should look like
- Tuesday 18 Dec 2018 - (1222) With 1200 seats, this could be the largest post production partnership ever seen
- Monday 17 Dec 2018 - (894) Here's RedShark's new Podcast - Episode 1: From Vinyl to iPads via Moore's Law