Adrian has been writing about the media industry for 20 years in a wide number of leading publications. He is a longstanding member of The IBC and ISE Daily teams, International Editor for CinemaEditor, award winning film critic, conference moderator and copywriter of white papers, press releases and marketing materials for a wide range of organisations. He lives in Liverpool and absolutely loves it.
The incoming 5G cellular network promises a lot of things to a lot of people and one of them is ultra high-speed video. Outside of a few labs in Finland, Korea and trials at sports venues, no-one has seen this in action so we can only best guess at what the consequences of it might be. To even get to that stage we need mobile devices capable of handling data at Gigabit speeds.
Microsoft has unveiled HoloLens 2, an upgraded version of the mixed-reality headgear and the nearest thing yet to being able to interact Minority Report style with the dimensional internet. But this is not aimed at gamers, visual entertainment, office workers or casual punters. This is a hardcore piece of computing for industry which takes AR very seriously indeed.
Characterised as a solution looking for a problem (but that’s what they said about the iPad), smartphones that literally double as a tablet are set to be the new mobile computing craze with Samsung bagging the obvious brand name and first mover status.
"Track 45 left. Stop. Enhance 15 to 23. Give me a hard copy right there." Deckard’s vocal instruction to the Esper machine to ‘see’ around the corner of a room in a photograph in the original Blade Runner looked unachievably cool in 1982 but could now be in reach.
- Saturday 15 Jun 2019 - (20591) What's it like using a top-end camera (the Sony F65) on a low-budget indie film?
- Friday 14 Jun 2019 - (18109) Here's what happens when DJI and GoPro go head to head
- Saturday 22 Jun 2019 - (10898) How to Make a DCP (Digital Cinema Package)
- Monday 17 Jun 2019 - (6685) Can the DJI Osmo Action cam beat the GoPro Hero 7?
- Saturday 15 Jun 2019 - (6438) This is why we don't do camera "shoot-outs"
- Wednesday 26 Jun 2019 - (282) How to make an impressively deepfake Tom Cruise
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (594) Raspberry Pi now available in new 4K flavour
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (950) Accusonus announces ERA 4, possibly the most simple to use, yet advanced, audio plugins we've seen
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (574) Live from Berlin - Live Production and Streaming for video makers
- Tuesday 25 Jun 2019 - (4884) The URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is an entirely new genre of camera