Roland Denning is an independent filmmaker and writer based in London. He was a lighting cameraman/ documentary cameraman for two decades, shooting everything from feature drama to rock promos. He still shoots when he can't afford to employ anyone else. His satirical novel, The Beach Beneath The Pavement was published in 2011.
The DSLR revolution had a huge impact on the video production industry. Conventional views of what a video camera should be were turned on their head, and doors were opened, making low budget filmmaking much more accessible. But the ripples from the revolution went far and wide. Roland Denning takes us on a journey of the effects those ripples caused.
We all love soft light, don’t we? It’s natural and flattering; hard light is old fashioned and looks artificial. And LEDs are a convenient and energy efficient source of soft light that have made most other lights obsolete, particularly if you are on a low budget. Is that all really true?
There has been a lot of discussion on these pages recently about what makes a film ‘cinematic’, centred around cameras, lenses, grading, lighting and the age-old debate of photochemical film versus digital. It’s all missing something obvious: space.
‘Cinematic’ is a term you’ll often find on these pages. It seems to be a look we all aspire to. We could argue about what ‘cinematic’ actually means (the best answer is probably ‘not like video’ - but then video doesn’t look like video anymore) but I’d rather discuss the underlying assumption: cinema is the highest form of the moving image and television is a lowly cousin.
- Saturday 9 Sep 2017 - (47355) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 6 Sep 2017 - (11663) Venice is the new 6K full frame CineAlta camera from Sony
- Tuesday 5 Sep 2017 - (11464) Sony RX0: probably the best action cam so far!
- Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 - (8263) Canon announces two new fixed lens 4K camcorders with high frame rate capabilities
- Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 - (7318) HP boasts new workstation is ‘the most powerful on the planet’
- Tuesday 19 Sep 2017 - (947) The winners of the RedShark News awards at IBC 2017 announced
- Monday 18 Sep 2017 - (617) Avid’s MediaCentral promises to speed up collaborative workflows
- Monday 18 Sep 2017 - (579) RØDE goes wireless for vocal performance
- Monday 18 Sep 2017 - (1147) Metadata capable lenses from Zeiss help to smooth post workflows [video]
- Monday 18 Sep 2017 - (2560) The latest from Blackmagic Design at IBC 2017 [video]