Roland Denning is an independent filmmaker and writer based in London. He was a lighting cameraman/ documentary cameraman for two decades, shooting everything from feature drama to rock promos. He still shoots when he can't afford to employ anyone else. His satirical novel, The Beach Beneath The Pavement was published in 2011.
Deeyah Khan and Darin Prindle won the Sony Impact Award for Current Affairs at the 2018 Rory Peck Awards on November 1st for their astonishing film, White Right: Meeting The Enemy where Deeyah comes face-to-face with leaders of the White Power movement in the USA. Roland Denning had the pleasure of meeting Deeyah the day after the awards ceremony to talk about her film. Her own story is as extraordinary as the films she makes.
Off The Tracks: FCP X, for all its brilliance, has always been divisive. It still is, according to Roland Denning
A feature documentary dedicated to an editing programme is about as niche as you can get. And this is not a training programme or (ostensibly) a promotional film, but a serious, well-made documentary which treats its subject as dramatically as if it were a major political revolution… just what’s going on here?
Cinema once offered the go-to experience for film viewers. Home viewing was simply not capable of matching the lure of the ultra-big screen. Today is different. Can cinema, and more to the point, systems such as IMAX, ever compete again in a world of Netflix and VR?
Is current camera design beholden to dogmatic assumptions about how things should be, or is there a better way? Roland Denning unleashes his opinion on what manufacturers should really consider when they put their digital pens to the design screen!
- Sunday 11 Nov 2018 - (180598) In Pursuit Of Excellence: The RØDE Microphone Story
- Sunday 4 Nov 2018 - (42797) Enjoy your digital films and videos while you can... before they disappear
- Wednesday 7 Nov 2018 - (8195) The Dell Precision 7730 could be the fastest performing mobile workstation available today
- Friday 2 Nov 2018 - (7458) Panasonic's new "organic" 8K HDR camera is revolutionary
- Monday 12 Nov 2018 - (5367) Samsung Infinity Flex Display: The foldable screens are finally here
- Friday 16 Nov 2018 - (319) RAID is not a backup system
- Thursday 15 Nov 2018 - (457) Deeyah Khan: An inspiring filmmaker confronting the enemy
- Thursday 15 Nov 2018 - (2532) Somehow, G-Technology has made an external drive that's as fast as a Macbook Pro's internal drive. And it's cheaper.
- Thursday 15 Nov 2018 - (975) Viltrox EF-M2: A Speed Booster on a budget
- Wednesday 14 Nov 2018 - (2481) Blackmagic Design updates DaVinci Resolve with over 30 new features