Roland Denning is an independent filmmaker and writer based in London. He was a lighting cameraman/ documentary cameraman for two decades, shooting everything from feature drama to rock promos. He still shoots when he can't afford to employ anyone else. His satirical novel, The Beach Beneath The Pavement was published in 2011.
Deeyah Khan and Darin Prindle won the Sony Impact Award for Current Affairs at the 2018 Rory Peck Awards on November 1st for their astonishing film, White Right: Meeting The Enemy where Deeyah comes face-to-face with leaders of the White Power movement in the USA. Roland Denning had the pleasure of meeting Deeyah the day after the awards ceremony to talk about her film. Her own story is as extraordinary as the films she makes.
Off The Tracks: FCP X, for all its brilliance, has always been divisive. It still is, according to Roland Denning
A feature documentary dedicated to an editing programme is about as niche as you can get. And this is not a training programme or (ostensibly) a promotional film, but a serious, well-made documentary which treats its subject as dramatically as if it were a major political revolution… just what’s going on here?
Cinema once offered the go-to experience for film viewers. Home viewing was simply not capable of matching the lure of the ultra-big screen. Today is different. Can cinema, and more to the point, systems such as IMAX, ever compete again in a world of Netflix and VR?
- Sunday 10 Feb 2019 - (90466) Five top tips for colorists
- Sunday 17 Feb 2019 - (57000) The art of editing: Five tips to improve your editing performance
- Monday 11 Feb 2019 - (8299) The Lumix S1 through the eyes of a GH4 and GH5 user
- Friday 15 Feb 2019 - (4185) Exclusive first review: Atomos's new Shinobi HDR monitor is for 4K cameras and weighs less than 200g
- Tuesday 12 Feb 2019 - (3685) Preview: Blender has undergone a major update, and it will revolutionise the way you use it
- Tuesday 19 Feb 2019 - (150) This is revolutionary: OLED-like performance from a new type of projector screen
- Tuesday 19 Feb 2019 - (401) FXhome releases a transformational update to Hitfilm Pro
- Monday 18 Feb 2019 - (1758) Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 II: a great lens makes this a serious 4K camera
- Monday 18 Feb 2019 - (752) Samsung QLED: A sign of the 8K times
- Monday 18 Feb 2019 - (1020) Leica's ASC special edition M10-P is a nostalgic take on digital cameras