I started out as a Video Tape Editor in the 1980’s and was one of the first editors to embrace non-linear editing at the beginning of the 90’s
I then went on to work for Lightworks and was instrumental in the development of their Heavyworks and Newsworks systems, sharing in the Technical Emmy that was awarded to the Heavyworks system.
After Lightworks I moved to Discreet logic (now part of Autodesk) where I was the European product specialist for Smoke and Fire.
I am an accredited Smoke trainer, I also do DaVinci Resolve training and I am an Independent Certified Expert for Sony.
We recently reviewed HP's 17in Mobile workstation and, while were very pleased with the performance, it wasn't necessarily the most portable of laptops. However, HP has now produced a 14in ZBook, dubbed it an Ultrabook Workstation, and loaded it with some very useful features.
We have lift-off! All of a sudden we feel as if we're reaching another significant tipping point for 4K as we've just seen an Acer 4K monitor and a couple of Dell units on sale for less than $450 (£300). And the good people at SpaceX have just provided a rather lovely 2:06 of footage to watch on them too.
Editors rely on computers with fast processing, plenty of memory and storage and a fast graphics card. HP's new ZBook Range seems to have all that and more and are truly mobile workstations. Neil Roberts recently got the chance to put one through its paces.
- Sunday 10 Dec 2017 - (33542) How to understand "Log" or Cine-style recordings
- Sunday 3 Dec 2017 - (31022) Here's how to make your films look good
- Monday 11 Dec 2017 - (29186) For all film makers: How to avoid losing your stuff and where to put it
- Wednesday 13 Dec 2017 - (24973) Want to earn money from your film? You'll find that making it was the easy part...
- Monday 11 Dec 2017 - (8915) More megapixels are coming. Just get used to it [opinion]
- Saturday 16 Dec 2017 - (459) Masters of Light: a classic revisited
- Friday 15 Dec 2017 - (1202) How to get the best from low bitrate cameras
- Friday 15 Dec 2017 - (1304) The essentials of controlling your exposure part 1: aperture
- Friday 15 Dec 2017 - (1121) NewBlueFX Titler Pro 6: an incredibly fast and easy way to create titles
- Thursday 14 Dec 2017 - (3286) Final Cut Pro X 10.4 now unleashed