Writing film music is a job that demands a wide range of talents - technical and artistic. And then you have to find an orchestra or session musicians to perform it. Well, the top-level productions will still use the real thing. But there's no reason any more why a low-budget production shouldn't sound great. Here's an example of why notRead more...
02 Mar 2013
Among the music-oriented Digital Audio Workstations, Reason and Ableton Live are perhaps the most fascinating, and they way they approach their job is about as different as you can getRead more...
11 Feb 2013
Memory chip manufacturer Corsair has quietly been manufacturing a set of 2.1 "computer" speakers that sound far better than they should for the price. In fact, they're pretty much ideal for professional use, if you're on a budgetRead more...
Sony has announced that it is stopping production of Minidisc recorders and players after 21 years. Most 20 year old audio enthusiasts would be surprised to hear that they were born after the arrival of this digital audio disk system. But how did it manage to cling to life for so long?Read more...
27 Jan 2013
Lightworks is a great video editing tool but if you want more low-cost, high-octane audio assistance there are places to go. Chris Erswell investigatesRead more...
12 Jan 2013
RØDE announces a stereo mic and iOS app designed for iPhone and iPad usersRead more...
I'm always excited when I find a new consumer device that can be used in a professional context. The way that consumer technology is catapulting ahead, this is likely to happen more and more oftenRead more...
We ask industry leaders to tell us about their companies and how they see the future. External recorders are now selling in large numbers and the Sound Devices Pix 240 is a popular example. Jon Tatooles, Managing Director of Sound Devices, tells us about his company and how he sees the years ahead.Read more...
- Saturday 6 Jul 2019 - (53200) What happens after Moore's Law? It's not what you think!
- Saturday 13 Jul 2019 - (31430) Opinion: Will all cameras eventually have to have Global Shutters?
- Sunday 7 Jul 2019 - (27446) Can Cinematography be too good?
- Sunday 14 Jul 2019 - (20671) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Thursday 11 Jul 2019 - (11961) A new full-frame camera from SIGMA that's both surprising and different
- Wednesday 17 Jul 2019 - (197) Small doorways mean bigger TVs
- Tuesday 16 Jul 2019 - (721) The α7R IV - In depth with Sony's new full-frame beast
- Tuesday 16 Jul 2019 - (2410) New Sony A7R 1V is a full frame 61MP mirrorless powerhouse with "Medium Format" image quality
- Tuesday 16 Jul 2019 - (737) These moon landing tapes are worth at least $1 million
- Tuesday 16 Jul 2019 - (6178) The wonder chip that's cropping up in our video devices
3D 4K 8K Adobe Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Blackmagic Design Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography Digital Bolex DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro Grading HD HDR Intel lenses Lighting Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic ProRes Raw RED RedShark Review Samsung Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video