Ever since DSLRs started became capable of recording high definition video, their audio capabilities have lagged behind. Some people have got round this by using external field recorders, but the ones that have included "proper" audio - XLR sockets, phantom power and good preamps, have added enormously to the cost of a DSLR rigRead more...
28 Mar 2013
There's a wealth of highly competent audio software out there, either free, or not costing much at all. Robert Rif tells us about one of his favoritesRead more...
Writing film music is a job that demands a wide range of talents - technical and artistic. And then you have to find an orchestra or session musicians to perform it. Well, the top-level productions will still use the real thing. But there's no reason any more why a low-budget production shouldn't sound great. Here's an example of why notRead more...
02 Mar 2013
Among the music-oriented Digital Audio Workstations, Reason and Ableton Live are perhaps the most fascinating, and they way they approach their job is about as different as you can getRead more...
11 Feb 2013
Memory chip manufacturer Corsair has quietly been manufacturing a set of 2.1 "computer" speakers that sound far better than they should for the price. In fact, they're pretty much ideal for professional use, if you're on a budgetRead more...
Sony has announced that it is stopping production of Minidisc recorders and players after 21 years. Most 20 year old audio enthusiasts would be surprised to hear that they were born after the arrival of this digital audio disk system. But how did it manage to cling to life for so long?Read more...
27 Jan 2013
Lightworks is a great video editing tool but if you want more low-cost, high-octane audio assistance there are places to go. Chris Erswell investigatesRead more...
12 Jan 2013
RØDE announces a stereo mic and iOS app designed for iPhone and iPad usersRead more...
I'm always excited when I find a new consumer device that can be used in a professional context. The way that consumer technology is catapulting ahead, this is likely to happen more and more oftenRead more...
- Saturday 4 Aug 2018 - (29524) Vintage lenses for large-sensor cameras - Part 1
- Saturday 11 Aug 2018 - (24238) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Monday 6 Aug 2018 - (12969) Cheaper graphics cards? There’s a reason for that
- Friday 3 Aug 2018 - (12043) Can open source software ever compete with commercial alternatives? [opinion]
- Tuesday 14 Aug 2018 - (8200) PXW-Z280: Back to the future with Sony's new 3 sensor masterpiece
- Friday 17 Aug 2018 - (215) RED uses Nvidia’s new Turing architecture for realtime 8K
- Friday 17 Aug 2018 - (836) Dell shows off its new laptop cinema experience features
- Friday 17 Aug 2018 - (471) Has TV-on-demand become too good? [opinion]
- Thursday 16 Aug 2018 - (1535) Angelbird RAW ECO SSD: Reliability and speed at an exceptional price
- Thursday 16 Aug 2018 - (1349) Watch the recording of RedShark Live with the EVA1 5.7K RAW and live switching with the Atomos Sumo
3D 4K 8K Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Blackmagic Design Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography Digital Bolex DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro Grading HDR Intel LED lenses Lighting Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic ProRes Raw RED RedShark Review Samsung Sensor Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video