08 Apr 2013
You can tell that ProTools has been around for a long time. It's just reached version 11 and it looks like this is a significant upgrade, with a brand new "Audio Engine"Read more...
There's something rather curious about sound, which is that it can range from a simple, single tone like a sine wave (or a flute, if you like) to a complete orchestra at the climax of a symphony. Even day-to-day background "atmospheres" can be a complex mosaic of hundreds of sonic elements: just think of the din at a supermarket checkout,…Read more...
Ever since DSLRs started became capable of recording high definition video, their audio capabilities have lagged behind. Some people have got round this by using external field recorders, but the ones that have included "proper" audio - XLR sockets, phantom power and good preamps, have added enormously to the cost of a DSLR rigRead more...
28 Mar 2013
There's a wealth of highly competent audio software out there, either free, or not costing much at all. Robert Rif tells us about one of his favoritesRead more...
Writing film music is a job that demands a wide range of talents - technical and artistic. And then you have to find an orchestra or session musicians to perform it. Well, the top-level productions will still use the real thing. But there's no reason any more why a low-budget production shouldn't sound great. Here's an example of why notRead more...
02 Mar 2013
Among the music-oriented Digital Audio Workstations, Reason and Ableton Live are perhaps the most fascinating, and they way they approach their job is about as different as you can getRead more...
11 Feb 2013
Memory chip manufacturer Corsair has quietly been manufacturing a set of 2.1 "computer" speakers that sound far better than they should for the price. In fact, they're pretty much ideal for professional use, if you're on a budgetRead more...
Sony has announced that it is stopping production of Minidisc recorders and players after 21 years. Most 20 year old audio enthusiasts would be surprised to hear that they were born after the arrival of this digital audio disk system. But how did it manage to cling to life for so long?Read more...
27 Jan 2013
Lightworks is a great video editing tool but if you want more low-cost, high-octane audio assistance there are places to go. Chris Erswell investigatesRead more...
- Thursday 4 Oct 2018 - (18618) Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K: The comprehensive review you have been waiting for!
- Thursday 11 Oct 2018 - (9531) BMPCC4K: This might be the holy grail of portable cinema cameras
- Monday 8 Oct 2018 - (8470) Our comprehensive BMPCC4K review continues: Setup, audio and HFR
- Saturday 6 Oct 2018 - (6101) Building the 10-bit desktop display
- Wednesday 3 Oct 2018 - (4991) Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K: Watch a recording of RedShark Live with a live demonstration of the new BMPCC4K
- Tuesday 16 Oct 2018 - (258) We are all susceptible to confirmation bias
- Monday 15 Oct 2018 - (725) Sony's diminutive new HX99 has an absurdly good zoom range
- Monday 15 Oct 2018 - (2123) Adobe officially debuts Premiere Rush CC
- Monday 15 Oct 2018 - (1283) Vinten's Flowtech is a revolution in portable tripod design
- Sunday 14 Oct 2018 - (4364) Zhiyun-Tech's highly compact WEEBILL LAB gimbal shows gimbal innovation isn't dead
3D 4K 8K Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Blackmagic Design Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography Digital Bolex DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro Grading HDR Intel LED lenses Lighting Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic ProRes Raw RED RedShark Review Samsung Sensor Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video