17 Jan 2019
Sometimes being just behind a technological trend is not always a bad thing. While the original Dolby Stereo surround mix of Star Wars (Episode IV - A New Hope, 1977) sounded like someone playing with a new toy, the soundtrack for John Carpenter's Escape from New York (1981) still stands up today. Kevin Hilton digs into the sounds and music…Read more...
10 Jan 2019
Get a few things right and it can make all the difference to your audio recordingsRead more...
15 Dec 2018
Henry James' 1898 psychological novella The Turn of the Screw does not make clear whether the unexplained events and manifestations the central character witnesses are genuine or imagined. Film adaptations of the story tend more towards the supernatural. The Innocents (1961) features malevolent spirits but plays with the idea that it could all be in the head of naive governess…Read more...
23 Nov 2018
Review: Zoom's F8n audio recorder looks to be incredibly highly featured for its price and ideally suited to location work. Phil Rhodes takes one through its paces.Read more...
22 Nov 2018
If a stock music library doesn't suit your production, here's some helpful suggestions on licensing well known tracks and having a composition made from scratch.Read more...
21 Nov 2018
Sometimes you don’t just have to see something demonstrated, you have to hear it as well, as these three new features in iZotope’s powerful RX 7 audio repair package show.Read more...
19 Nov 2018
Review: We give highly featured audio pitch and retiming software Revoice Pro 4 from Synchro Arts a good run through. Should this be an essential part of your audio toolkit? Read on to find out.Read more...
11 Nov 2018
Replay: This is one of our older articles, so some info may be dated. However it offers a fascinating insight into the company. Craig Marshall visits RØDE's headquarters in Sydney for RedShark and finds out what it takes to make high quality microphones that sell worldwideRead more...
15 Sep 2018
When you think of audio fixing, you probably think of “iZotope RX Advanced”. It is the industry standard for audio post production regardless of the environment in which the audio is used, be it movies, music or even criminal forensics. iZotope has now released updates of RX 7, its metering app Insight and the full RX Post Production Suite.Read more...
16 Jul 2018
The announcement of Tascam's new cassette deck raised a few eyebrows. Is tape simply just another type of sound in a creative world?Read more...
- Monday 7 Jan 2019 - (13253) No, Apple hasn't abandoned professionals and it's not going bust. Here's why.
- Monday 14 Jan 2019 - (8580) If you thought data wrangling on earth was hard, spare a thought for NASA!
- Thursday 3 Jan 2019 - (7072) A new take on HDR: One of the best explanations you'll see
- Wednesday 9 Jan 2019 - (5094) Atomos hints at a new type of future for video makers
- Tuesday 15 Jan 2019 - (5088) No, 8k isn't going to fail just like 3D. Here's why
- Friday 18 Jan 2019 - (227) This is why drone filming can never reach its true potential
- Thursday 17 Jan 2019 - (518) Escape From New York was a triumph of minimalist soundtrack design
- Thursday 17 Jan 2019 - (1653) What's the difference between log modes and HDR?
- Thursday 17 Jan 2019 - (1391) Before you buy a vintage lens, you might want to read this first
- Wednesday 16 Jan 2019 - (4142) Why do we keep thinking in 35mm for focal lengths?
3D 4K 8K Adobe Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Blackmagic Design Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography Digital Bolex DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro Grading HD HDR Intel lenses Lighting Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic ProRes Raw RED RedShark Review Samsung Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video