Technology & Computing
21 Jul 2017
If the content schedule at this year’s SIGGRAPH is anything to go by, it looks like rumours of VR’s death, or at least its entering into a proto-zombie state, are a bit premature.Read more...
20 Jul 2017
RedShark Replay (and in honour of the 47th anniversary of the first moon landing). A sizeable number of otherwise quite sane people now believe that the Moon landings never took place. Here’s one of the many reasons why they are very, very wrong.Read more...
18 Jul 2017
RED's Hydrogen is not just a smartphone or even primarily a phone at all. And that's the key to understanding its potential: this could be a whole new mobile computing platform with an unprecedented degree of flexibility and expansion.Read more...
14 Jul 2017
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? More and more, governments seem to be calling for backdoors to be established into encryption programs in the name of public safety. Phil Rhodes thinks this is a bad idea.Read more...
11 Jul 2017
96-layer 3D NAND flash using a technology called BiCS4 means that we could probably see 1.5TB NAND-powered SSDs in about a year.Read more...
09 Jul 2017
RedShark Replay: As moviegoers, we're all suckers for motion pictures at 24 frames per second. Joe Foster explores why 24fps still reigns and whether higher frame rate films will ever usurp the longtime standard.Read more...
07 Jul 2017
After a week or so of fevered speculation as to what exactly its mysterious new product was going to be, RED dropped the news that it would be launching Hydrogen, a smartphone with an innovative holographic display, at the beginning of next year. Here is all our coverage of Hydrogen to date.Read more...
03 Jul 2017
After a barnstorming WWDC demonstration of iOS11’s transformative potential on iPad, a developer-only beta has been followed up by a public one. K Stewart sees whether the promise of the slickly edited demo bears out in reality.Read more...
- Saturday 9 Sep 2017 - (47726) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 - (8604) Canon announces two new fixed lens 4K camcorders with high frame rate capabilities
- Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 - (7906) HP boasts new workstation is ‘the most powerful on the planet’
- Friday 15 Sep 2017 - (7112) Sony's new 120fps 8K broadcast camera offers a step change for live broadcasting
- Sunday 17 Sep 2017 - (5393) Panasonic updates us on the amazing AU-EVA1 camcorder plus new footage [Video]
- Friday 22 Sep 2017 - (577) Remembering Final Cut Pro 7 - the end of an era
- Friday 22 Sep 2017 - (663) Atomos Sumo monitors to receive new capabilities with firmware updates [Video]
- Friday 22 Sep 2017 - (982) IBC 2017 - Have manufacturers stopped playing the numbers game?
- Friday 22 Sep 2017 - (4176) First footage from the new Sony CineAlta VENICE
- Thursday 21 Sep 2017 - (2457) Ignite Express: a very capable set of free plugins
3D 4K 8K Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography Digital Bolex DJI drones DSLR Editing Film Firmware update GoPro Grading HD HDR IBC iPhone LED lenses Lightworks NLE Nvidia Opinion panasonic production ProRes Raw RED Review Samsung Sensor Sony SSD technology UHD VFX video