Technology & Computing
11 Oct 2015
RedShark Replay: It just won’t go away, will it? However much you can prove with specifications that digital video is indisputably better than film, there’s a stubborn feeling that there’s more to it than the simple-to-prove facts. We think we've identified one, subtle, process that helps film to store more visible information than digital.Read more...
10 Oct 2015
RedShark Replay: One day — soon — it may be possible to take almost perfect photos and videos with less-than-perfect lenses (first published back in 2013 but an appropriate replay given the fuss the Light L16 is causing).Read more...
09 Oct 2015
There's buzz around a possible Intel Cannonlake 8-core processor for consumer desktop computers. Our Technical Editor tackles why software engineering difficulty increases with the number of cores and imagines what it would take for a more elegant PC computing solution.Read more...
09 Oct 2015
Upstart camera maker Light is debuting an entirely new breed of camera that relies upon computational photography and multiple lenses - 16 of them - to take its rumoured 52MP images. [Update - shoots 4K video as well!]Read more...
05 Oct 2015
HP has unveiled revamped versions of its leading entry-level workstation and may have accidentally leaked some other rather exciting info. By Leo Waldock.Read more...
05 Oct 2015
Microsoft’s latest innovation, MobileFusion, turns any mobile phone into a 3D scanner without the need for any additional hardware.Read more...
02 Oct 2015
Dell has updated its entry-level Precision Desktop Workstation computers, but the real stars are the new and improved Precision Mobile Workstations, bringing more editor-friendly enhancements to its already-popular power laptops.Read more...
- Monday 23 May 2016 - (23579) Nvidia's GTX 1080: Is this the end of Mac-based video production?
- Saturday 14 May 2016 - (20716) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Saturday 21 May 2016 - (20418) The Sony A7S - a camera born for astrophotography
- Tuesday 17 May 2016 - (7055) Is it still okay to shoot in 8-bit video?
- Friday 20 May 2016 - (6574) Resolve 12.5 could change your entire approach to grading
- Friday 27 May 2016 - (791) BBC finds rare Attenborough 'Zoo Quest' colour footage
- Friday 27 May 2016 - (1435) Olympus' impressive new action cam challenges GoPro
- Friday 27 May 2016 - (6388) The Sony PXW-Z150: “It is astounding what Sony has achieved for this price.”
- Thursday 26 May 2016 - (1124) Are we ready for driverless...cameras?
- Thursday 26 May 2016 - (5167) Adobe to add native ProRes support to Windows software
3D 4K 4K Camera 8K Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Blackmagic Cinema Camera Blackmagic pocket cinema camera Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography Digital Bolex DSLR Editing F55 Film Firmware update gh4 GoPro HD HDR iPhone lenses Lightworks NAB NLE Nvidia panasonic production ProRes Raw RED RedShark Review Samsung Sensor Sony SSD technology UHD VFX