While the oft-touted future of Amazon delivery drones flitting across the skies just took a significant knock, for those who want to use drones to shoot video everything has taken a turn for the better with the United States Federal Aviation Administration latest proposed set of rules covering the operation of UAVs.
In the second part of his article on qualifying to be a legally recognised drone pilot in the UK, Simon Wyndham details his experiences of flight school and the challenges of manual flight.
We’ve detailed recently the hoops you have to go through to get a professional drone license nowadays, but for those that just want to shoot some video for their own use, DJI has just released the $799 Phantom 3 Standard.
Karma come down: All you have to do is search for GoPro Karma Crash on YouTube and you will find a growing number of videos from people whose craft has turned turtle at several hundred feet and dropped to the ground.
Have a look at the current DJI product line-up, and what talented artists can do with it on shorts like The Circle, and it’s not hard to imagine the company expanding into other areas of the industry.
With the US adopting a far more relaxed viewpoint on UAV legislation, the Dutch government’s newly hardline stance has taken many by surprise. Guest author Willem Kootstra, journalist and documentary film maker, wonders what the implications may be for the rest of Europe.
Most professionals use a first person viewer to fly their drones, and they can get rather pricey. But, with an inexpensive phone mounted VR headset, it turns out there's an app for that.
DJI’s announcement of not one but two new drones and cameras, the very impressively specced Inspire 2 and the prosumer Phantom 4 Pro, shows that it is still driving drone R&D as hard as ever.
It has been rumoured for a while now, with working models being spotted in the field over the last couple of months or so. But now DJI has finally announced what every Inspire1 owner has been hoping for. A new camera. Well, in fact two new cameras…the X5 and the X5R.
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (19205) Panasonic GH5 Review: the first full hands-on report
- Saturday 25 Feb 2017 - (12699) How to completely break the rules with colour
- Sunday 19 Feb 2017 - (12518) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Friday 24 Feb 2017 - (8267) Sony mirrorless cameras’ secret super power: Clear Image Zoom
- Monday 27 Feb 2017 - (7279) Panasonic GH5 noise reduction appears to be spectacular
- Wednesday 1 Mar 2017 - (297) Join Sony for a webinar on HDR production, Thursday 7th March
- Wednesday 1 Mar 2017 - (588) YouTube unveils its live TV service
- Wednesday 1 Mar 2017 - (1035) The *really* shameful Oscar moment
- Tuesday 28 Feb 2017 - (928) How to bring video into... everything! [sponsored]
- Tuesday 28 Feb 2017 - (3563) Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio HD and Web Presenter: first look