Even though many pundits think 4K will be delivered by streaming, there are plenty of households still with slower broadband for whom this will not be an option. Now, it seems, Google's free VP9 codec might be a candidate for a new "Blu-Ray" format
Even though some people groaned when Sony announced their XAVC codec back in October 2012, it's beginning to look like it is more than just another variation on the h.264 theme. What it may turn out to be is a rich environment for 4K production that is widely supported by NLEs and post production vendors
A surprise upgrade for Sony's shoulder-mount ENG cameras means they can record HD with the same quality as visually lossless ProRes
You will hear a lot about codecs when it comes to 4k in the next few months, but the most important one of them all finally reaches an important milestone in January when HEVC hits the Final Draft International Standard stage. Ratification and commercial products supporting it will not be far behind
Samsung uses the occasion of Photokina 2014 to launch a camera that's sure to entice not only photographerss, but may lure video shooters as well, featuring 4K recording to H.265, a world's first.
- Saturday 30 Apr 2016 - (27781) All about sensors, lenses and depth of field.
- Sunday 24 Apr 2016 - (21531) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Tuesday 26 Apr 2016 - (9167) The world's smallest 4K interchangeable lens camera
- Monday 18 Apr 2016 - (6495) Dramatic updates for URSA Mini and new products from Blackmagic
- Friday 22 Apr 2016 - (6314) RedShark NAB Awards - The Results
- Tuesday 3 May 2016 - (426) 5 ways a Media Asset Management system can help grow your production business [sponsored]
- Tuesday 3 May 2016 - (1304) Canon's EOS-1D X Mark II is available immediately
- Monday 2 May 2016 - (971) New 3-axis stabilisers from Gudsen
- Monday 2 May 2016 - (2997) Will the Lytro Cinema Camera kill off the 2D pixel?
- Monday 2 May 2016 - (1512) And the winner of the Panasonic DVX200 is...