Samsung uses the occasion of Photokina 2014 to launch a camera that's sure to entice not only photographerss, but may lure video shooters as well, featuring 4K recording to H.265, a world's first.
Even though many pundits think 4K will be delivered by streaming, there are plenty of households still with slower broadband for whom this will not be an option. Now, it seems, Google's free VP9 codec might be a candidate for a new "Blu-Ray" format
Researchers at the University of Bath claim to have invented a codec based not on pixels but on vectors. Vector graphics have been around for a long time but until now they have not been considered to be suitable for general purpose image work - and certainly not for video - because while they have distinct advantages, they are difficult to use where images are complex
Even though some people groaned when Sony announced their XAVC codec back in October 2012, it's beginning to look like it is more than just another variation on the h.264 theme. What it may turn out to be is a rich environment for 4K production that is widely supported by NLEs and post production vendors
Redshark's only 10 months old, and our readership is growing all the time. So if you're a new arrival here you'll have missed some great articles from earlier in the year
You will hear a lot about codecs when it comes to 4k in the next few months, but the most important one of them all finally reaches an important milestone in January when HEVC hits the Final Draft International Standard stage. Ratification and commercial products supporting it will not be far behind
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29941) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21052) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17879) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13375) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10050) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (385) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (959) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (623) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (2604) Why are CFast cards so stubbornly expensive?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (6363) Panasonic 4K tech lets you change focus in post