Even though some people groaned when Sony announced their XAVC codec back in October 2012, it's beginning to look like it is more than just another variation on the h.264 theme. What it may turn out to be is a rich environment for 4K production that is widely supported by NLEs and post production vendors
Even though many pundits think 4K will be delivered by streaming, there are plenty of households still with slower broadband for whom this will not be an option. Now, it seems, Google's free VP9 codec might be a candidate for a new "Blu-Ray" format
In a major new article, Phil Rhodes explores the background to HEVC/H.265, and explains what makes it so good at compressing video. Read this if you want to know how almost all video - including 4K - will be delivered in the near future
There are so many great articles in RedShark's archive - we're publishing this again in case you missed it first time!
For most of the history of film, if you wanted to insert something into the picture that didn't exist, the camera had to be stationary. Motion tracking allows artificial objects to be inserted convincingly into real footage. Phil Rhodes explains
- Friday 22 Jul 2016 - (22391) Is something dramatic about to happen with Final Cut Pro X?
- Saturday 23 Jul 2016 - (16091) One technique to improve your edits
- Friday 15 Jul 2016 - (13175) 8K will absolutely be the new standard for filmmaking
- Saturday 16 Jul 2016 - (11257) Most of us use them, but how does an NLE actually work?
- Monday 18 Jul 2016 - (7238) Working with resolutions above 4K: We interview renowned cinematographer Shane Hurlbut, ASC
- Friday 29 Jul 2016 - (7015) Star Wars used more CGI than you thought
- Friday 29 Jul 2016 - (1144) The Joy of Parallax (or In Defence of Sliders)
- Thursday 28 Jul 2016 - (1372) A high CRI tungsten-balanced LED that won't break the bank
- Thursday 28 Jul 2016 - (1030) Why the world’s best movie theatre is often found at IBC in Amsterdam
- Thursday 28 Jul 2016 - (982) All about colour with Apocalypse Now cinematographer Vittorio Storaro