Even though many pundits think 4K will be delivered by streaming, there are plenty of households still with slower broadband for whom this will not be an option. Now, it seems, Google's free VP9 codec might be a candidate for a new "Blu-Ray" format
Samsung uses the occasion of Photokina 2014 to launch a camera that's sure to entice not only photographerss, but may lure video shooters as well, featuring 4K recording to H.265, a world's first.
In a major new article, Phil Rhodes explores the background to HEVC/H.265, and explains what makes it so good at compressing video. Read this if you want to know how almost all video - including 4K - will be delivered in the near future
Even though some people groaned when Sony announced their XAVC codec back in October 2012, it's beginning to look like it is more than just another variation on the h.264 theme. What it may turn out to be is a rich environment for 4K production that is widely supported by NLEs and post production vendors
One from the archives: It’s a great pity that in order to enjoy the benefits of digital imaging, we must use pixels that may only be one of a comparatively small selection of colours, as opposed to the effectively infinite subtlety of nature. Phil Rhodes spreads light and understanding about quantization and noise.
- Wednesday 24 Aug 2016 - (61547) Five top tips for colorists
- Saturday 13 Aug 2016 - (33035) If you want to get the best out of digital, buy an old film camera.
- Thursday 11 Aug 2016 - (15838) Why put a camera on your shoulder?
- Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 - (15420) Canon EOS 5K Mk IV details leaked: surprisingly few surprises
- Saturday 20 Aug 2016 - (10247) Is the iPhone really a threat to video professionals?
- Friday 26 Aug 2016 - (1495) First Hands-On with the new EOS 5D Mk IV: 500Mbit/s 4K recording
- Friday 26 Aug 2016 - (234) TriCaster and NDI keep Turkish News Broadcaster on air during military coup [sponsored]
- Thursday 25 Aug 2016 - (389) IBC Rising Stars: Understanding the potential of VR
- Thursday 25 Aug 2016 - (1241) DJI launches new version of the Osmo handheld
- Thursday 25 Aug 2016 - (1273) It's official: Canon confirms EOS 5D Mark IV spec