In a major new article, Phil Rhodes explores the background to HEVC/H.265, and explains what makes it so good at compressing video. Read this if you want to know how almost all video - including 4K - will be delivered in the near future
For most of the history of film, if you wanted to insert something into the picture that didn't exist, the camera had to be stationary. Motion tracking allows artificial objects to be inserted convincingly into real footage. Phil Rhodes explains
One from the archives: It’s a great pity that in order to enjoy the benefits of digital imaging, we must use pixels that may only be one of a comparatively small selection of colours, as opposed to the effectively infinite subtlety of nature. Phil Rhodes spreads light and understanding about quantization and noise.
You will hear a lot about codecs when it comes to 4k in the next few months, but the most important one of them all finally reaches an important milestone in January when HEVC hits the Final Draft International Standard stage. Ratification and commercial products supporting it will not be far behind
Even though many pundits think 4K will be delivered by streaming, there are plenty of households still with slower broadband for whom this will not be an option. Now, it seems, Google's free VP9 codec might be a candidate for a new "Blu-Ray" format
Researchers at the University of Bath claim to have invented a codec based not on pixels but on vectors. Vector graphics have been around for a long time but until now they have not been considered to be suitable for general purpose image work - and certainly not for video - because while they have distinct advantages, they are difficult to use where images are complex
- Sunday 7 Feb 2016 - (37558) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (24470) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (7962) Sony's A6300: Mirrorless 4K & world's fastest autofocus for under $1K
- Monday 1 Feb 2016 - (6256) Canon updates its 4K blockbuster DSLR with the EOS-1D X MK II
- Thursday 28 Jan 2016 - (5200) RedShark Review: Canon CN7x17 17-120mm zoom
- Tuesday 9 Feb 2016 - (179) AJA's surprise new camera is a change of direction
- Tuesday 9 Feb 2016 - (510) Stunning views of whales by drone
- Monday 8 Feb 2016 - (937) Radio mics: the current state of the art
- Monday 8 Feb 2016 - (1434) Blackmagic releases new 1.2 Video Assist firmware
- Monday 8 Feb 2016 - (478) To tell stories in VR, we may first have to make games