Blackmagic's cameras are bringing a raw workflow to an uprecedented number of people, and also highllighting the difference between raw and "standard" ("Rec 709) video - the stuff we've been used to up to now. If it seems complicated, it will be a little bit less so once you've read Phil Rhodes' article.
This summer we're re-running some of our most popular articles - just in case you didn't see them first time. Here's Phil Rhode's look at how to understand Waveform and Vector displays
As usual in the Winter season, we're re-running some of our most popular articles, in case you didn't see them the first time
Replay: How often do people really take the time to explain the real basics? With stuff like colour correction, while you can and should rely on your eyes and a good, colour-calibrated monitoring system, you also need to make sure that your graded output is technically OK, or it might be rejected by your client
RedShark Archive: Gone are the days when a light meter and a trained eye was enough; to do better, we need technological measures and test & measurement equipment. In this article, first published in August 2013, Phil Rhodes discusses a few of the most common approaches and why some may be more useful than others, depending on the circumstances.
- Wednesday 19 Oct 2016 - (93935) 8K is not the future of TV. We think 21:9 Ultra Widescreen is instead. Here's why...
- Saturday 15 Oct 2016 - (38690) Understanding ISO: In digital cameras, it's not what you think it is
- Tuesday 11 Oct 2016 - (22426) RED launches not one, but two 8K cameras [Update - now with product video]
- Saturday 8 Oct 2016 - (14800) The art of Colour Rendering
- Friday 7 Oct 2016 - (8723) The impressive new Sony a6500 raises the sub-$1500 mirrorless bar
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (412) What happens when you put a 1000W LED onto a drone?
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (739) The end of shaky video?
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (1067) What Convergent has done with Titan shows the way to capturing all camera angles at once
- Thursday 20 Oct 2016 - (4545) The state of Solid State Drives in 2016
- Thursday 20 Oct 2016 - (1782) Sigma Cine Lenses now shipping