This summer we're re-running some of our most popular articles - just in case you didn't see them first time. Here's Phil Rhode's look at how to understand Waveform and Vector displays
RedShark Archive: Gone are the days when a light meter and a trained eye was enough; to do better, we need technological measures and test & measurement equipment. In this article, first published in August 2013, Phil Rhodes discusses a few of the most common approaches and why some may be more useful than others, depending on the circumstances.
Blackmagic's cameras are bringing a raw workflow to an uprecedented number of people, and also highllighting the difference between raw and "standard" ("Rec 709) video - the stuff we've been used to up to now. If it seems complicated, it will be a little bit less so once you've read Phil Rhodes' article.
How often do people really take the time to explain the real basics? With stuff like colour correction, while you can and should rely on your eyes and a good, colour-calibrated monitoring system, you also need to make sure that your graded output is technically OK, or it might be rejected by your client
As usual in the Winter season, we're re-running some of our most popular articles, in case you didn't see them the first time
- Sunday 27 Sep 2015 - (47842) Five top tips for colorists
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (14163) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Friday 25 Sep 2015 - (12615) Full details of the new RED Raven
- Tuesday 29 Sep 2015 - (9410) Why the film look still matters in the digital age
- Monday 5 Oct 2015 - (6963) RedShark Review: AJA Cion out in the real world
- Friday 9 Oct 2015 - (1539) DJI intros integrated, stabilised handheld 4K camera
- Friday 9 Oct 2015 - (5447) Light L16: Revolutionary computational photography camera hits the market
- Thursday 8 Oct 2015 - (1226) IZotope releases upgraded RX 5 Audio Editor and RX Post Production Suite
- Thursday 8 Oct 2015 - (1555) Cameras: Tests and spec sheets don’t give you the whole picture
- Thursday 8 Oct 2015 - (1555) Sony splits off image sensor business