RedShark Archive: Gone are the days when a light meter and a trained eye was enough; to do better, we need technological measures and test & measurement equipment. In this article, first published in August 2013, Phil Rhodes discusses a few of the most common approaches and why some may be more useful than others, depending on the circumstances.
As usual in the Winter season, we're re-running some of our most popular articles, in case you didn't see them the first time
Replay: How often do people really take the time to explain the real basics? With stuff like colour correction, while you can and should rely on your eyes and a good, colour-calibrated monitoring system, you also need to make sure that your graded output is technically OK, or it might be rejected by your client
This summer we're re-running some of our most popular articles - just in case you didn't see them first time. Here's Phil Rhode's look at how to understand Waveform and Vector displays
Blackmagic's cameras are bringing a raw workflow to an uprecedented number of people, and also highllighting the difference between raw and "standard" ("Rec 709) video - the stuff we've been used to up to now. If it seems complicated, it will be a little bit less so once you've read Phil Rhodes' article.
- Tuesday 6 Dec 2016 - (14879) The RED Epic-W: the best dual purpose still/cinematography camera yet?
- Monday 28 Nov 2016 - (8070) Windows vs macOS: Does it even matter anymore?
- Sunday 27 Nov 2016 - (7241) RED’s radical Helium S35 8K sensor: the story so far
- Friday 2 Dec 2016 - (4225) The Panasonic HC-X1 - the new breed of ENG
- Thursday 1 Dec 2016 - (4124) Big Lightworks news: Version 14 public beta is released with a new User Interface
- Friday 9 Dec 2016 - (228) BBC demos Planet Earth II footage in 4K HDR
- Friday 9 Dec 2016 - (686) The Chronos 1.4: A high-speed camera for the masses?
- Thursday 8 Dec 2016 - (568) The Rory Peck Awards 2016: News camerawork at its very finest
- Thursday 8 Dec 2016 - (940) Imagineer ramps up mocha Pro features
- Thursday 8 Dec 2016 - (1518) Learn Resolve editing from importing media to final delivery