For those wielding a semi-pro video camera and dreaming that one day they just might make it as the next Spielberg, look no further than Gareth Edwards and his recent monster hit, Godzilla.
Here's a great video that shows the intensive research and development that goes into creating an iconic VFX shot
4K Ready? 4K Now! One of the things that was most noticeable about IBC2014 was that 4K is now very much a part of the mainstream. That’s not to say there wasn’t still room for debate, though.
Cinesite acquired Image Engine in the summer of 2015, combining forces of two of the most respected and sought after VFX companies. Check out their show reels!
RedShark's 12 Days of Christmas Replays: Part One of our six-part series looking at the history of VFX starts back with early pioneers such as Georges Melies developing the optical effects that Orson Welles would use to such dramatic effect nearly half a century later.
In our next installment of our series highlighting 2015's Oscar nominees for Best Visual Effects, we look at Guardians of the Galaxy, one of three VFX nominees featuring characters from the all-conquering Marvel Universe.
In the run-up to the 2015 Oscar's, we're highlighting nominees in the Visual Effects category. First up: Interstellar and a behind-the-scenes featurette that explains how the production brought its black hole into being.
- Sunday 7 Feb 2016 - (38364) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (25057) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Tuesday 9 Feb 2016 - (9918) AJA's surprise new camera is a change of direction
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (8540) Sony's A6300: Mirrorless 4K & world's fastest autofocus for under $1K
- Monday 1 Feb 2016 - (6438) Canon updates its 4K blockbuster DSLR with the EOS-1D X MK II
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (194) RedShark Review: DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Drone
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (1986) The powerful new Panasonic Varicam LT: Top-end features, mid-range price
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (663) 101 uses for a GoPro camera
- Wednesday 10 Feb 2016 - (1099) How to shoot good interviews
- Wednesday 10 Feb 2016 - (999) What Dell's cryptic press release about security really means