The critically-acclaimed Gravity thrilled audiences with its mesmerizing portrayal of astronauts struggling with an outer space worst case scenario. Prime Focus World, a leading VFX and post services company, made this breakdown to demonstrate how they created a parallel stereoscopic conversion and VFX workflow for the film.
There has been a lot of focus and attention on the new Blackmagic URSA Mini and its abilities, such as a 15 stop dynamic range, well thought out ergonomics and lighter weight than the full size URSA. However one of its hidden talents may also be one of the most ground breaking, especially given the company's acquisition of the Fusion VFX software.
4K Ready? 4K Now! One of the things that was most noticeable about IBC2014 was that 4K is now very much a part of the mainstream. That’s not to say there wasn’t still room for debate, though.
How do you make a comic book superhero film set in New York? The answer is that you don't make it in New York. Instead, you shoot it in a green-screen studio in New Mexico
X-Men: Days of Future Past holds a very special distinction for its franchise: it is the first X-Men film nominated for the Academy Award in Best Visual Effects. Here we celebrate the film by sharing two illuminating and visually sumptuous VFX breakdowns.
Andy Stout begins our new six-part series looking at the history of VFX in cinema back where it all started, with early pioneers such as Georges Melies developing the optical effects that Orson Welles would use to such dramatic effect nearly half a century later.
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (30049) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21131) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17954) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13612) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10178) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (159) Don't make plans for 30 years ahead!
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (734) How to colour correct on unsuitable monitors
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (9526) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part two: using SSDs
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1433) RedShark Review: Sony PMW-PZ1 — 4K just got easier
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (802) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format