The critically-acclaimed Gravity thrilled audiences with its mesmerizing portrayal of astronauts struggling with an outer space worst case scenario. Prime Focus World, a leading VFX and post services company, made this breakdown to demonstrate how they created a parallel stereoscopic conversion and VFX workflow for the film.
Good CGI is so realistic that you don't always know when you're looking at it. So, Ironically, CGI artists take it as a compliment when their work goes unnoticed.
In our next installment of our series highlighting 2015's Oscar nominees for Best Visual Effects, we look at Guardians of the Galaxy, one of three VFX nominees featuring characters from the all-conquering Marvel Universe.
Our resident VFX expert, HaZ, made an on-set discovery that not only eased his workflow, but solidified, in his opinion, the ARRI Alexa as the go-to camera for VFX shoots.
X-Men: Days of Future Past holds a very special distinction for its franchise: it is the first X-Men film nominated for the Academy Award in Best Visual Effects. Here we celebrate the film by sharing two illuminating and visually sumptuous VFX breakdowns.
If you haven’t come across Joe Schenkenberg (better known as Joey Shanks) and his PBS Digital Studios show Shanks FX, it’s perhaps time you did as it is a fairly awesome How To mix of home-brew practical effects using household items and digital refinement.
Here are some fascinating things that we learned from our sessions at London's Broadcast Video Expo
In the run-up to the 2015 Oscar's, we're highlighting nominees in the Visual Effects category. First up: Interstellar and a behind-the-scenes featurette that explains how the production brought its black hole into being.
- Monday 23 May 2016 - (21814) Nvidia's GTX 1080: Is this the end of Mac-based video production?
- Saturday 14 May 2016 - (20673) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Saturday 21 May 2016 - (20374) The Sony A7S - a camera born for astrophotography
- Friday 13 May 2016 - (13057) Five things a Colorist would like to say to a DP
- Friday 13 May 2016 - (10847) 7 Free Motion Design Assets for Video Editors [sponsored]
- Friday 27 May 2016 - (631) Olympus' impressive new action cam challenges GoPro
- Friday 27 May 2016 - (4278) The Sony PXW-Z150: “It is astounding what Sony has achieved for this price.”
- Thursday 26 May 2016 - (871) Are we ready for driverless...cameras?
- Thursday 26 May 2016 - (3916) Adobe to add native ProRes support to Windows software
- Thursday 26 May 2016 - (934) LEDs and the power to (battery) weight ratio