In our next installment of our series highlighting 2015's Oscar nominees for Best Visual Effects, we look at Guardians of the Galaxy, one of three VFX nominees featuring characters from the all-conquering Marvel Universe.
X-Men: Days of Future Past holds a very special distinction for its franchise: it is the first X-Men film nominated for the Academy Award in Best Visual Effects. Here we celebrate the film by sharing two illuminating and visually sumptuous VFX breakdowns.
Weta Digital is at it again! This time, the red-hot VFX house is inventing new ways to overrun the Earth with primates, as evidenced by an illuminating behind the scenes featurette for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
A French Revolution:The name BUF Compagnie is not always the first company to leap to mind when one thinks of the world’s top VFX houses, but you’ve been living under a rock if you haven’t been dazzled regularly by the company’s work. And soon, reports guest author Neal Romanek you will be able to buy the software that produced it.
Anyone working with digital tools today has a wide choice of applications for specialized tasks. An office suite consists of a program for writing text, one for spreadsheets, presentations, a database etc. For a VFX workflow you might use a tool for tracking, one for compositing, one for editing, various tools for simulations and specialized applications for modelling, sculpting, texturing and animation. RedShark contributor and Blender expert Gottfried Hoffmann reports
In Part 1 of this 3 part series about applying for Jobs in the VFX Industry, RedShark's reporter HaZ, uses his experience as a VFX Supervisor and Producer to explain what he looks for in the in an application: what really works to get his attention - and what turns him off
From World War II to the 1980s, the model men and the optical effects units held sway in the world of movie VFX. Computers were on the way, but first the world's effects teams had to deal with the little problem of colour. By Andy Stout.
- Sunday 11 Oct 2015 - (44738) We may have solved the mystery of why film just looks better
- Friday 9 Oct 2015 - (17310) Light L16: Revolutionary computational photography camera hits the market
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (14798) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Tuesday 29 Sep 2015 - (9710) Why the film look still matters in the digital age
- Monday 5 Oct 2015 - (7560) RedShark Review: AJA Cion out in the real world
- Tuesday 13 Oct 2015 - (1560) Was the DSLR revolution worth it?
- Tuesday 13 Oct 2015 - (510) Content: The big problem with VR
- Monday 12 Oct 2015 - (1787) How to calibrate your monitor
- Monday 12 Oct 2015 - (1329) New brushless 3-axis GoPro control adds pan & tilt
- Monday 12 Oct 2015 - (1049) So, where's all the new stuff?