Despite its best efforts at times, the movie industry hasn’t killed creativity... yet. Responding to an ever-more risk-averse climate, film creatives are finding more direct ways to pitch their ideas.
Have you ever thought about the close connection between electric guitars and modern post production techniques? It's just possible that you haven't. After all, resemblance between a Marshall amplifier and DaVinci colour grading console is minimal, to say the least
The critically-acclaimed Gravity thrilled audiences with its mesmerizing portrayal of astronauts struggling with an outer space worst case scenario. Prime Focus World, a leading VFX and post services company, made this breakdown to demonstrate how they created a parallel stereoscopic conversion and VFX workflow for the film.
Having charted the story of VFX in cinema in the first four parts, Andy Stout turns his attention to detailing the various techniques used over the past century, starting with optical effects. Dismiss them at your peril; after all this is how they made 2001
Boris FX’ Continuum Complete 10 is not only the biggest release from the company yet, but also the first joint development since its merger with Imagineer Systems. Guest author, Ross Shain, details what’s new.
For most of the history of film, if you wanted to insert something into the picture that didn't exist, the camera had to be stationary. Motion tracking allows artificial objects to be inserted convincingly into real footage. Phil Rhodes explains
Two very different genre shows, HBO’s Game of Thrones which finished last night and the BBC’s ongoing Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, have convinced us that we are in a new era of television special effects and that TV can now do (nearly) everything that film can.
The latest in our series highlighting Oscar 2015's Best Visual Effects nominees: here we feature Dawn of the Planet of the Apes with a group of videos that illuminate the film's VFX processes.
- Sunday 7 Feb 2016 - (38312) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (24991) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Tuesday 9 Feb 2016 - (9590) AJA's surprise new camera is a change of direction
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (8469) Sony's A6300: Mirrorless 4K & world's fastest autofocus for under $1K
- Monday 1 Feb 2016 - (6409) Canon updates its 4K blockbuster DSLR with the EOS-1D X MK II
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (273) 101 uses for a GoPro camera
- Wednesday 10 Feb 2016 - (812) How to shoot good interviews
- Wednesday 10 Feb 2016 - (799) What Dell's cryptic press release about security really means
- Wednesday 10 Feb 2016 - (442) How to complain effectively
- Tuesday 9 Feb 2016 - (2466) Some more URSA Mini 4.6K content to whet your appetite