In many ways IBC2013 was a quiet show. Yes it boasted record visitor numbers, but few things happened out in Amsterdam that hadn’t been predicted beforehand: namely HEVC-powered 4K is on the horizon, the second screen is increasingly important to broadcasters’ plans, and higher frame-rate imaging is moving closer and closer to mainstream acceptance. Andy Stout looks back on five days in Amsterdam
Sony has been teasing us with glimpses of their new 4K delivery system since shortly after they released details of their 84" 4K Bravia TV. Concrete details have been thin on the ground, and we still don't know what the final product will look like. And there's a bigger question as well…
Why do people put video from one of the world's top cameras on YouTube with the expectation that we can judge the quality of the material? Just to make it perfectly clear: video on YouTube is highly compressed.
In what is a busy morning for the company, Sony has also taken the wrappers off its α7S II camera and at least some of the rumours that have been swirling round about it are right.
Here we introduce SteadXP, a potentially revolutionary camera stabilisation system that records metadata during shooting to accurately steady your video in post. And the best part: it can be used on any camera!
This may be a neat, conventional-looking HD camera, but there are some surprises under the hood
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29948) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21065) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17883) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13404) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10061) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (215) RedShark Review: Sony PMW-PZ1 — 4K just got easier
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (451) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1058) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (649) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (2697) Why are CFast cards so stubbornly expensive?