Sony just released a pretty advertisement for its line of UHD televisions, captured in 4K. But how well does it translate to sub-UHD displays? And is it enough to reel in the customers?
This is the first of two articles featuring the Sony F65 - currently widely considered to be the best cinematography camera in the world, and the only one to output a true 4K from its 8K sensor. In this RedShark exclusive, Andy Stout talks to DoP Ben Smithard about his approach to shooting period drama Belle with this 4K camera
One of the fastest expanding areas of our industry is corporate video. Now more often called "video communication", it's a great way to get your video skills used and paid for. Here's a TV programme we made about it.
Sony was in a difficult position when they presented their press conference today at the Mirage Ballroom in Las Vegas. They've already announced their F5 and F55 4K cameras in October last year (they've already sold 2000 of them) , and no-one was really expecting any ground-breaking news from them today. But that doesn't mean that the content of the news conference wasn't important, because the underlying seismic movement towards 4K was solidified by a few of the more subtle comments
This may be a neat, conventional-looking HD camera, but there are some surprises under the hood
Sony and FIFA recently announced they are partnering to trial live 4K production workflow at the FIFA Confederations Cup in Brazil this summer, extending the collaboration that saw Sony capture 25 matches from the 2010 soccer World Cup in 3D and, more importantly, pointing the way to Rio 2014 being produced in 4K.
Something is different about NAB this year and it's probably a good thing as an industry once wedded to launching new products instead discovers the joy of upgrades, modularity, durability and extending the product life cycle. Buy a new camera today and the chances are it will last a lot longer than one even from just a few years ago.
- Sunday 27 Sep 2015 - (47183) Five top tips for colorists
- Tuesday 22 Sep 2015 - (17614) Review - Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4K: The most interesting camera of the decade?
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (13178) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Friday 25 Sep 2015 - (12332) Full details of the new RED Raven
- Thursday 24 Sep 2015 - (11424) World's fastest video codec can handle 16K
- Tuesday 6 Oct 2015 - (912) The new normal: expect surprises
- Tuesday 6 Oct 2015 - (2058) RedShark Review: Dell Ultrasharp U3415W Monitor
- Monday 5 Oct 2015 - (2138) HP unveils revamped workstations and hints at Skylake
- Monday 5 Oct 2015 - (5002) RedShark Review: AJA Cion out in the real world
- Monday 5 Oct 2015 - (2533) Microsoft makes 3D scanning possible with any mobile phone