FIFA is making plans alongside Japan's NHK to capture some of the games from this summer's World Cup in Brazil in 8K. And the footage will be down converted to 4K to help 4K producers. Down converting to 4K! You read it here first!
Sony has announced two new camcorders: the PXW-X500, a new solid state memory shoulder camcorder; and the HXR-MC2500E, an Exmor R CMOS sensor-based unit with a new built-in LED light aimed at professional videographers. There’s also a new field recorder, the PMW-RX50 XDCAM portable recorder, too.
The HXR-NX100, which broke cover at Broadcast Asia, features a 1.0 type Exmor R back-illuminated CMOS Sensor with 20 megapixels, which, given that it’s similar to the sensor in the company’s RX10 camera, should mean it takes some very good HD.
Sony’s proprietary digital zoom technology, Clear Image Zoom, has a cloak of mystery surrounding it underneath of which there could be some very interesting things going on indeed.
The big camera announcements this year have been for large (in terms of capability), top-end cinema-type devices. That's all very exciting. But it does actually take time for cameras to be evaluated, bought, and then used in a production. That's why we're only just starting to see major feature films being made with Sony's natively 4K F65 (After Earth, with Will Smith, for example)
For those with a Sony A7s or Panasonic GH4, here's a bit of good news: the Atomos is officially accepting pre-orders for the Shogun, the world's first 4K HDMI recorder, and throwing a Spyder into the mix.
It is safe to say that the POV action camera market is pretty much owned by GoPro at the present time. Sony have now clearly decided that it was about time that the ante was upped and as a result they have now announced an upgrade to their HDR-AS100 in the form of the HDR-AS100V. Simon Wyndham explores
- Sunday 11 Oct 2015 - (45215) We may have solved the mystery of why film just looks better
- Friday 9 Oct 2015 - (17915) Light L16: Revolutionary computational photography camera hits the market
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (14899) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Tuesday 29 Sep 2015 - (9804) Why the film look still matters in the digital age
- Monday 5 Oct 2015 - (7641) RedShark Review: AJA Cion out in the real world
- Wednesday 14 Oct 2015 - (88) Royalty free music licensing?
- Tuesday 13 Oct 2015 - (723) Easy drag-and-drop video effects clips from Rampant
- Tuesday 13 Oct 2015 - (5955) Was the DSLR revolution worth it?
- Tuesday 13 Oct 2015 - (1280) Content: The big problem with VR
- Monday 12 Oct 2015 - (4139) How to calibrate your monitor