It's started. The most important part of Sony's 4K ecosystem is in the shops: an 84" Bravia TV with quad HD resolution.
While 4K is certainly not for everyone – it’s a bear to work with, manage, and store – it is true nonetheless that 4K capture produces superior HD images: the additional fineness and reduced noise contributes to much better HD than originating in HD in the first place
Sony’s proprietary digital zoom technology, Clear Image Zoom, has a cloak of mystery surrounding it underneath of which there could be some very interesting things going on indeed.
In recent memory, it seems there has been one name in the inexpensive sport camcorder market: GoPro. Its HD Hero camera set the bar for quality and versatility at a consumer-friendly price-point.
RedShark replay: Could cameras like the AJA CION usher in a return to capturing great images in-camera? Simon Wyndham investigates.
RedShark Winter Replay: Is the camera industry in meltdown or is this a new age for cinematographers. And can you build a camera in your shed?
This holiday we're re-running some of our most popular articles, in case you didn't see them the first time. Today: Electronics is so completely integrated now that building new equipment is just a matter of glueing together a few parts you can buy from the Internet. Is this true? And is this the biggest threat to traditional camera manufacturers? In this article, we investigate this, and the background to it, in detail
Support for Dolby Vision grows with the announcement that Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will use the Dolby Vision mastering process for high dynamic range 4K/UHD, featuring more vibrant colors/brightness and wider contrast range.
A day is a long time in digital video technology. And what we now know is that the battle-lines have been drawn for the fight over 4K delivery. Is this simply a squabble between obscure and proprietary systems, or the end-game in the democratisation of cinema that started with the RED One, and blossomed into the plethora of affordable cameras that start with DSLRs and go all the way up to the new Sony F55?
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29999) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21103) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17922) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13504) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10112) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (9139) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part two: using SSDs
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1026) RedShark Review: Sony PMW-PZ1 — 4K just got easier
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (653) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1404) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (724) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?