When viewing shorts, it’s easy to be lured by Hollywood-style plotting, explosions and photorealistic animation. ‘Voyager’ reminds us the abstract can be just as compelling...
Approaching Crowd-sourced funding
The blockbuster science-fiction movie look is now available to anyone with a good story, creative vision and persistance.
Budgeting for short or independent films
Every film-maker starting out wants to make the best short film, and get the best people and equipment to make it happen - but often with little or no budget at all, all in the hope that the idea is strong enough to get investors and potential co-workers to commit.
Stu Maschwitz is a filmmaker, visual effects supervisor and the Creative Director of Red Giant Software, where he helped develop Magic Bullet Looks, BulletProof, Colorista II and more. In the past, he was a VFX artist and supervisor at Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) for four years, and then co-founded visual FX company The Orphanage in 1999, who did FX for several movies including Joon-Ho Bong’s monster film The Host (2006), Iron Man (2008) and more
We were a little bit underwhelmed when we saw the first footage from the F55, not because there's anything wrong with the camera - far from it; but because it was shot incredibly flat, and we kind of expected something a bit more eye-catching than that. The whole experience set us off on what was essentially a rant about how you shouldn't use YouTube or Vimeo to judge the quality of a camera
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (16774) Panasonic GH5 Review: the first full hands-on report
- Sunday 19 Feb 2017 - (12061) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Monday 6 Feb 2017 - (10889) Blackmagic just made broadcasting cheaper and easier
- Tuesday 7 Feb 2017 - (7103) Sony launches documentary film contest [sponsored]
- Tuesday 14 Feb 2017 - (5803) DJI Osmo Mobile: good run and gun on a budget?
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (203) Planet Earth II to showcase what UHD Blu-ray can really do
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1115) Sony’s new FE lenses: a first hands-on
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1047) The Accusys Thunderbolt T3 is fast shared storage for your Thunderbolt devices [sponsored]
- Monday 20 Feb 2017 - (901) RedShark Live: How to shoot for HDR
- Monday 20 Feb 2017 - (890) Improved colour performance from SmallHD's new 1703-P3 display