Internet forums, YouTube and magazines are full of articles extolling the virtues of large sensor video cameras, whether it's the Red Epic or the Canon C300. But should we be obsessed with the Big Chips, or do they have a downside as well. Kieron Seth investigates.
As we saw in my previous article on sensor technology, we can now build sensors with enormous numbers attached to them - if not trivially, at least reliably. Given that current 4K sensors are more than adequate to replace 35mm film in terms of sheer resolution, we need to be careful about turning this into a numbers game.
A Kickstarter-funded digital 16mm camera is one of 2012's most intriguing stories. RedShark's reporter Peter Haas talks to Joe Rubinstein, co-founder of Digital Bolex
Over the weekend we brought you the first images that were from the new RED Dragon sensor. We thought they looked sensational, and said so, but before everyone (including us) gets carried away, it's worth injecting a note of caution into the frenzy that surrounds this new sensor
How much does it cost to make a smartphone these days? And does this mean you could build your own camera?
The NEX-EA50EH is an NXCAM Camcorder with a large format Exmor APS-C HD CMOS sensor and interchangeable E-Mount lens system that can shoot in full HD and take 16 megapixel still photos. It comes with the newly developed SEL-P18200 18-200mm Power Zoom E-mount lens with “Optical Steady Shot” image stabilisation
- Sunday 27 Sep 2015 - (47593) Five top tips for colorists
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (13984) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Friday 25 Sep 2015 - (12530) Full details of the new RED Raven
- Thursday 24 Sep 2015 - (11622) World's fastest video codec can handle 16K
- Tuesday 29 Sep 2015 - (9321) Why the film look still matters in the digital age
- Thursday 8 Oct 2015 - (523) IZotope releases upgraded RX 5 Audio Editor and RX Post Production Suite
- Thursday 8 Oct 2015 - (941) Cameras: Tests and spec sheets don’t give you the whole picture
- Thursday 8 Oct 2015 - (1136) Sony splits off image sensor business
- Wednesday 7 Oct 2015 - (973) Roku 4 brings 4K streaming for $129 into your living room
- Wednesday 7 Oct 2015 - (1239) RE:Vison Effects anti-flicker plugins now available for Nuke, Fusion and other OpenFX hosts