Recently I've been expressing the view that all cameras are pretty much the same, because they all use the similar technology (give or take) for their sensors. I don't mean to be unnecessarily cruel about the work of camera manufacturers – taking an electronic component such as an imaging sensor and making it into a usable tool is far from trivial. Still, the absolute performance of cameras is determined by what you can get off the lump of silicon behind the lens
CMOSIS upgrades CMV12000 sensor to 300fps at 4k (4,096 x 3,072)
Over the weekend we brought you the first images that were from the new RED Dragon sensor. We thought they looked sensational, and said so, but before everyone (including us) gets carried away, it's worth injecting a note of caution into the frenzy that surrounds this new sensor
RedShark contributor Phil Rhodes pointed out something to me the other day that sounds obvious when you hear it: that camera makers never used to make film, and yet - if you can remember that far back - it is the film that determines the quality and feel of the photograph (and the lens, of course), not the camera
Internet forums, YouTube and magazines are full of articles extolling the virtues of large sensor video cameras, whether it's the Red Epic or the Canon C300. But should we be obsessed with the Big Chips, or do they have a downside as well. Kieron Seth investigates.
- Saturday 14 May 2016 - (20555) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Saturday 21 May 2016 - (20224) The Sony A7S - a camera born for astrophotography
- Monday 23 May 2016 - (17847) Nvidia's GTX 1080: Is this the end of Mac-based video production?
- Friday 13 May 2016 - (12632) Five things a Colorist would like to say to a DP
- Friday 13 May 2016 - (10660) 7 Free Motion Design Assets for Video Editors [sponsored]
- Wednesday 25 May 2016 - (447) Europe mulls quota on streaming content
- Wednesday 25 May 2016 - (2497) Sony sells Vegas and more to Magix
- Tuesday 24 May 2016 - (1311) BigFly's impressive drone showreel
- Tuesday 24 May 2016 - (1449) Sony's Gigantic LED Canvas
- Tuesday 24 May 2016 - (3990) Rumour: Canon 5D Mark IV being tested by photographers