The battle for cheaper 4K+ acquisition is heating up. Just a few days ago, Sony announced the F5 and the F55, and a constellation of accessories that comprise their new 4K ecosystem. Not to be outdone, RED, perhaps in a ploy to steal some of Sony’s thunder, made its own announcement, via CEO Jim Jannard’s post on the REDuser forum:
7 days of filming, 2 days for still photography, 9 locations, 6 camera units, 7 captains, 5 production support boats, 45 crew members; shooting with Arri Alexa, Red Epic, Phantom Flex, Phantom Miro, Sony F3, Techno Dolly, Cineflex
It has come as a massive surprise to users of RED cameras as it has always been a much requested feature, but the official line has always been that GPU cards were just not very good at handling the debayering and wavelet technology that is involved in working with RED footage. Well this has all suddenly changed, with a new version of REDCINE-X that supports graphics card technology to take the load off the computers CPU
There's always a moment when the harsh nature of reality is crystallised; when however hard you try, you can't pretend any more that things are OK. For most people, this type of thing happens when they get their first credit card bill after Christmas. For Red, one imagines, their corporate hearts stopped for a moment last Tuesday, 30th October, when Sony revealed the scale of their new camera ecosystem.
You may think that the world doesn't need another expensive storage format when generic storage is getting cheaper and faster all the time - but this new RED format guarantees performance in situations where your footage is almost inevitably going to be worth many times more than your memory
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (16774) Panasonic GH5 Review: the first full hands-on report
- Sunday 19 Feb 2017 - (12062) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Monday 6 Feb 2017 - (10890) Blackmagic just made broadcasting cheaper and easier
- Tuesday 7 Feb 2017 - (7103) Sony launches documentary film contest [sponsored]
- Tuesday 14 Feb 2017 - (5803) DJI Osmo Mobile: good run and gun on a budget?
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (77) Phantom Flex4K adds global shutter to high speed options
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (207) Planet Earth II to showcase what UHD Blu-ray can really do
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1125) Sony’s new FE lenses: a first hands-on
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1050) The Accusys Thunderbolt T3 is fast shared storage for your Thunderbolt devices [sponsored]
- Monday 20 Feb 2017 - (903) RedShark Live: How to shoot for HDR