With REDs Dragon sensor grabbing most of the headlines, there was some very interesting tech launched by RED at NAB that you might have missed. Heres a roundup
RedShark contributor Phil Rhodes pointed out something to me the other day that sounds obvious when you hear it: that camera makers never used to make film, and yet - if you can remember that far back - it is the film that determines the quality and feel of the photograph (and the lens, of course), not the camera
7 days of filming, 2 days for still photography, 9 locations, 6 camera units, 7 captains, 5 production support boats, 45 crew members; shooting with Arri Alexa, Red Epic, Phantom Flex, Phantom Miro, Sony F3, Techno Dolly, Cineflex
There's always a moment when the harsh nature of reality is crystallised; when however hard you try, you can't pretend any more that things are OK. For most people, this type of thing happens when they get their first credit card bill after Christmas. For Red, one imagines, their corporate hearts stopped for a moment last Tuesday, 30th October, when Sony revealed the scale of their new camera ecosystem.
RedShark Technical Editor Phil Rhodes profiles Monocle, a new utility from ClipToolz that converts raw color into a black-and-white result that approaches a 'true' monochromatic image.
It has come as a massive surprise to users of RED cameras as it has always been a much requested feature, but the official line has always been that GPU cards were just not very good at handling the debayering and wavelet technology that is involved in working with RED footage. Well this has all suddenly changed, with a new version of REDCINE-X that supports graphics card technology to take the load off the computers CPU
- Monday 16 Jan 2017 - (21345) Just how good is AMD's impressive new Ryzen CPU?
- Friday 13 Jan 2017 - (16652) Why FCPX 10.3 is the NLE of the future
- Sunday 22 Jan 2017 - (9797) How the internet echo chamber fails new cameras
- Friday 20 Jan 2017 - (9046) The Sony FS7 II and why it absolutely is a big deal
- Tuesday 10 Jan 2017 - (8909) RED Helium is the "best sensor ever" according to DxO
- Wednesday 25 Jan 2017 - (117) Is Apple investigating VR? Of course it is!
- Tuesday 24 Jan 2017 - (474) The Core SWX Hypercore Slim: a battery with an accelerometer
- Tuesday 24 Jan 2017 - (4382) The new Canon EOS C700 impresses in the field
- Tuesday 24 Jan 2017 - (3024) Razer Blade GTX 1060 review: why stop at gaming?
- Monday 23 Jan 2017 - (1986) Want to make a feature film? This is how much money you will really need