RED doesn't think that 4K is moving fast enough. They have a vested interest in thinking this. As arguably the first camera company to have 4K cameras on the market, their lead is is being challenged by newcomers from the more established companies
You may think that the world doesn't need another expensive storage format when generic storage is getting cheaper and faster all the time - but this new RED format guarantees performance in situations where your footage is almost inevitably going to be worth many times more than your memory
This holiday we're re-running some of our most popular articles, in case you didn't see them the first time. Today: Electronics is so completely integrated now that building new equipment is just a matter of glueing together a few parts you can buy from the Internet. Is this true? And is this the biggest threat to traditional camera manufacturers? In this article, we investigate this, and the background to it, in detail
RedShark contributor Phil Rhodes pointed out something to me the other day that sounds obvious when you hear it: that camera makers never used to make film, and yet - if you can remember that far back - it is the film that determines the quality and feel of the photograph (and the lens, of course), not the camera
Good news for RED shooters with an iOS device: a just-released app helps users learn the RED camera menu from their iPhones and iPads.
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (30072) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21135) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17959) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13636) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10199) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (428) Don't make plans for 30 years ahead!
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (1060) How to colour correct on unsuitable monitors
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (9592) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part two: using SSDs
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1515) RedShark Review: Sony PMW-PZ1 — 4K just got easier
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1113) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format