RED has an event scheduled on the calendar for Friday when it will release the full details of the upcoming Raven camera, but that hasn’t stopped CEO Jarred Land spilling the beans in a couple of late night user posts on the RED forum.
The battle for cheaper 4K+ acquisition is heating up. Just a few days ago, Sony announced the F5 and the F55, and a constellation of accessories that comprise their new 4K ecosystem. Not to be outdone, RED, perhaps in a ploy to steal some of Sony’s thunder, made its own announcement, via CEO Jim Jannard’s post on the REDuser forum:
It has come as a massive surprise to users of RED cameras as it has always been a much requested feature, but the official line has always been that GPU cards were just not very good at handling the debayering and wavelet technology that is involved in working with RED footage. Well this has all suddenly changed, with a new version of REDCINE-X that supports graphics card technology to take the load off the computers CPU
Good news for RED shooters with an iOS device: a just-released app helps users learn the RED camera menu from their iPhones and iPads.
As we saw in my previous article on sensor technology, we can now build sensors with enormous numbers attached to them - if not trivially, at least reliably. Given that current 4K sensors are more than adequate to replace 35mm film in terms of sheer resolution, we need to be careful about turning this into a numbers game.
- Sunday 7 Feb 2016 - (38698) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (25701) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Tuesday 9 Feb 2016 - (10655) AJA's surprise new camera is a change of direction
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (8831) Sony's A6300: Mirrorless 4K & world's fastest autofocus for under $1K
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (6831) The powerful new Panasonic Varicam LT: Top-end features, mid-range price
- Saturday 13 Feb 2016 - (849) Event Horizon showcases the power of blocking and framing
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (1249) This is what you need to throw multiple 4K images around
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (1559) Odyssey 7Q+ to support Varicam LT V-RAW
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (985) Indian music and iPad: made for each other
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (1549) RedShark Review: DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Drone