New software for Blackmagic Video Assist adds focus peaking, Zebra and more.
Atomos is one of the best examples of a company that rides the wave of new technology. As soon as a new function or capability becomes possible at a sensible price point, Atomos jumps on it and makes a product.
Most of us, if we're honest, struggle slightly when it comes to configuring even HD equipment and settings. There are enough combinations of frame rates, codecs and resolutions that just about everyone has to stop and think when they're setting up their gear
Convergent Design, who gave us one of the biggest product surprises at NAB 2013 with their Odyssey monitor/recorders, has released pricing information about their modular system, including daily rental options for additional and camera-specific codecs
While many of us are patiently waiting for the Atomos Shogun 4K HDMI recorder, Convergent Design reminds us that they already have an SDI 4K and other recorders on the market, now made better with a recent firmware update.
ProRes remains a living codec and proof of that came out two days ago when Apple announced ProRes XQ - an ever higher quality variant
Blackmagic's original Cinema Camera continues to amaze, with some people likening it to a mini Arri Alexa. Most of what we've seen from the camera - understandably, has been from the raw footage, subsequently graded - sometimes heavily
A surprise upgrade for Sony's shoulder-mount ENG cameras means they can record HD with the same quality as visually lossless ProRes
The AJA CION has been available for some time now, but very little finished footage has been seen so far. Here's an example from a production shot in New York.
- Saturday 28 May 2016 - (43749) 10 things Editors would like to say to Directors
- Monday 23 May 2016 - (25512) Nvidia's GTX 1080: Is this the end of Mac-based video production?
- Saturday 21 May 2016 - (20552) The Sony A7S - a camera born for astrophotography
- Thursday 26 May 2016 - (9452) Adobe to add native ProRes support to Windows software
- Friday 27 May 2016 - (8005) The Sony PXW-Z150: “It is astounding what Sony has achieved for this price.”
- Tuesday 31 May 2016 - (286) The Olympics are going to be the biggest 8K test yet
- Tuesday 31 May 2016 - (2267) RedShark Review: Blackmagic Video Assist 4K
- Monday 30 May 2016 - (565) Can VR really live up to the hype?
- Monday 30 May 2016 - (1530) 5.6Tbps broadband tests - that's 200 feature films per second
- Sunday 29 May 2016 - (1486) The creative possibilities that HDR will unleash