We take a look at Cinemartin's Cinec 4 transcoding tool and whether it's worth a premium over lower-cost and free options.
We're following a bit of a theme here: ProRes versus in-camera recording. Here's an extremely interesting clip with a split-screen demonstration of ProRes vs a Canon C100's internal codec which is 24Mbit/s AVCHD
A surprise upgrade for Sony's shoulder-mount ENG cameras means they can record HD with the same quality as visually lossless ProRes
Popular though the Arri Alexa is, some people have been deterred from recording the Raw output by the requirement for the camera to be tethered to an outboard recorder which sometimes cost as much to rent as the camera itself! RedShark contributor Freya reports
Most of us, if we're honest, struggle slightly when it comes to configuring even HD equipment and settings. There are enough combinations of frame rates, codecs and resolutions that just about everyone has to stop and think when they're setting up their gear
Acrovid are a small company based in Panama City. They have just released version 1.0 of FootageStudio 4K, a video transcoding package for the PC which brings simple batch processing of video files to multiple formats including ProRes and also has noise reducton and impressive Slo Motion capabilities.
Earlier this year, Apple discontinued support for Quicktime on Windows. This could rapidly become a problem for editors everywhere as, with its passing, they lose the ability to decode ProRes on the platform and the big vendors are all 'still working' on a solution.
- Wednesday 19 Oct 2016 - (93340) 8K is not the future of TV. We think 21:9 Ultra Widescreen is instead. Here's why...
- Saturday 15 Oct 2016 - (38609) Understanding ISO: In digital cameras, it's not what you think it is
- Tuesday 11 Oct 2016 - (22378) RED launches not one, but two 8K cameras [Update - now with product video]
- Saturday 8 Oct 2016 - (14755) The art of Colour Rendering
- Friday 7 Oct 2016 - (8671) The impressive new Sony a6500 raises the sub-$1500 mirrorless bar
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (210) The end of shaky video?
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (741) What Convergent has done with Titan shows the way to capturing all camera angles at once
- Thursday 20 Oct 2016 - (3341) The state of Solid State Drives in 2016
- Thursday 20 Oct 2016 - (1509) Sigma Cine Lenses now shipping
- Thursday 20 Oct 2016 - (1355) 8K is part of the journey, not the destination