Just in case anyone was in doubt that the 4K revolution is happening, Nvidia has just announced that its much anticipated Tegra 4 mobile chipset will include "4K Ultra-High-Def video support"
GPU acceleration - using a graphics card to do graphics-intensive tasks that the CPU would otherwise have to do - has transformed 3D and compositing on desktop and laptop computers. Here's a short video from Eyon that illustrates this and is a good primer for anyone unfamiliar with the concept. It also explains the difference between Nvidia's GeForce and Quadro cards.
Pure computing power is moving on in leaps and bounds. What can you do when you pile everything into a top computer workstation?
Imagine a world…
Rakesh Malik delves into the history of virtual machines and how new solutions, such as Nvidia GRID 2.0, could impact workflows and post houses.
Nvidia have made a presentation from this year's Siggraph available, showing how Pixar is using its OptiX GPU accelerated lighting to speed up previewing of scenes
Consumer-grade GPUs are getting faster and, crucially, they're using less power
This article was first published two years ago so some of the information is old. But it's a question that keeps getting asked, and it's a great article - so we thought we'd publish it again. How do you choose between consumer and pro graphics cards? Low cost and high performance are compelling with the lower-end products, but compatability and support are better with the professional versions. Oren Payton explores this in depth
- Sunday 27 Sep 2015 - (47669) Five top tips for colorists
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (14050) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Friday 25 Sep 2015 - (12544) Full details of the new RED Raven
- Thursday 24 Sep 2015 - (11655) World's fastest video codec can handle 16K
- Tuesday 29 Sep 2015 - (9367) Why the film look still matters in the digital age
- Thursday 8 Oct 2015 - (788) IZotope releases upgraded RX 5 Audio Editor and RX Post Production Suite
- Thursday 8 Oct 2015 - (1169) Cameras: Tests and spec sheets don’t give you the whole picture
- Thursday 8 Oct 2015 - (1254) Sony splits off image sensor business
- Wednesday 7 Oct 2015 - (1085) Roku 4 brings 4K streaming for $129 into your living room
- Wednesday 7 Oct 2015 - (1310) RE:Vison Effects anti-flicker plugins now available for Nuke, Fusion and other OpenFX hosts