While many production houses and broadcasters are adopting 4K workflows, guest author Fran de Souza, who resides on the border between Uruguay and Brazil, details his television station's struggle in transitioning from SD to HD broadcast in 2015 and the stroke of ingenuity that made it happen.
Nvidia has a new mobile chip that's as powerful as the world's fastest supercomputer in the year 2000
Nvidia have made a presentation from this year's Siggraph available, showing how Pixar is using its OptiX GPU accelerated lighting to speed up previewing of scenes
Most of us despair when we see technology and science presented to a non-technical audience on TV. It's not easy to explain stuff in the short time available, but often it's over-simplified to the point of being nonsensical. So how does a national UK broadcaster deal with the topic of 4K?
Ray Tracing has always produced the most spectacular results of all CGI techniques. We've all seen those images of chrome balls on chess-boards, with every reflection - even between multiple balls - faithfully rendered. And "rendered" is the important word here, because, until now, real-time ray tracing on anything other than a supercomputer has been impossible.
An Nvidia hardware launch is always a reason to get excited, not least when it is their professional GPUs that are being launched. These cards – the Quadro family, only appear once in every two years or so, so when they do, it tends to present us with a significant jump forward, both in terms of features and performance. RedShark contributor Oren Paynton reports
- Saturday 30 Apr 2016 - (28100) All about sensors, lenses and depth of field.
- Sunday 24 Apr 2016 - (21727) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Tuesday 26 Apr 2016 - (9390) The world's smallest 4K interchangeable lens camera
- Friday 22 Apr 2016 - (6410) RedShark NAB Awards - The Results
- Monday 2 May 2016 - (5273) Will the Lytro Cinema Camera kill off the 2D pixel?
- Thursday 5 May 2016 - (68) The Rollocam Hercules, the smallest dolly in the world, nears release
- Thursday 5 May 2016 - (634) Free 3D Star Wars models available for download
- Wednesday 4 May 2016 - (508) RedShark's Teradek NAB live TV shows - Episode 2, Editshare
- Wednesday 4 May 2016 - (1115) Upgrades for AJA’s CION and RovoCam
- Wednesday 4 May 2016 - (1367) Practical Magic: The ‘A New Morning' video shows what Magic Leap can really do