Pixar's new animation system allows animators to visualise their characters with all the important detail visible. Like hair!
We thought it was pretty remarkable when Nvidia announced their new Tegra 4 chipset that will bring 4K capabilities to tablets and phones. And it is. But it's no longer unique. To pretty much everyone's surprise, Qualcomm said yesterday that they too were going to release a 4K video-capable chipset too
Pure computing power is moving on in leaps and bounds. What can you do when you pile everything into a top computer workstation?
The Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee is home to the worlds fastest supercomputer nicknamed "Titan", Nvidia created the chips that power Titan and have now released a graphics card using the same chip.
Ray Tracing has always produced the most spectacular results of all CGI techniques. We've all seen those images of chrome balls on chess-boards, with every reflection - even between multiple balls - faithfully rendered. And "rendered" is the important word here, because, until now, real-time ray tracing on anything other than a supercomputer has been impossible.
This article was first published two years ago so some of the information is old. But it's a question that keeps getting asked, and it's a great article - so we thought we'd publish it again. How do you choose between consumer and pro graphics cards? Low cost and high performance are compelling with the lower-end products, but compatability and support are better with the professional versions. Oren Payton explores this in depth
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (23943) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Sunday 24 Jan 2016 - (22664) How to understand "Log" or Cine-style recordings
- Monday 25 Jan 2016 - (14871) Building a powerful Intel Skylake video editing workstation
- Friday 22 Jan 2016 - (8810) Shooting on Super 8 in the 21st century
- Monday 1 Feb 2016 - (5951) Canon updates its 4K blockbuster DSLR with the EOS-1D X MK II
- Saturday 6 Feb 2016 - (278) Oscar season reveals some stunning vfx work
- Friday 5 Feb 2016 - (1773) Resolve 12.3, FCP 10.2.3 and more - it’s Super Update Friday
- Friday 5 Feb 2016 - (1851) Sponsored: IP will change everything you know about connecting video
- Friday 5 Feb 2016 - (2431) Lightworks 12.6 Free adds 1080p Vimeo export plus huge discounts
- Thursday 4 Feb 2016 - (2850) Log recording, noise and the Sony FS5