It's hard to believe it, but this demo is running on a mobile chipset, in real time
We thought it was pretty remarkable when Nvidia announced their new Tegra 4 chipset that will bring 4K capabilities to tablets and phones. And it is. But it's no longer unique. To pretty much everyone's surprise, Qualcomm said yesterday that they too were going to release a 4K video-capable chipset too
GPU acceleration - using a graphics card to do graphics-intensive tasks that the CPU would otherwise have to do - has transformed 3D and compositing on desktop and laptop computers. Here's a short video from Eyon that illustrates this and is a good primer for anyone unfamiliar with the concept. It also explains the difference between Nvidia's GeForce and Quadro cards.
RedShark Summer Replay: One man's quest to put together a smooth, responsive system to run DaVinci Resolve on a budget (and how to get round some of the problems that will trip you up when you try) - first published January 2015.
Most of us despair when we see technology and science presented to a non-technical audience on TV. It's not easy to explain stuff in the short time available, but often it's over-simplified to the point of being nonsensical. So how does a national UK broadcaster deal with the topic of 4K?
Nvidia announcements are coming thick and fast, and while most of us won't benefit from their new Network GPU Appliance, it does look like an ideal product for medium to large facilities that need to have GPU power available on-tap
Rakesh Malik delves into the history of virtual machines and how new solutions, such as Nvidia GRID 2.0, could impact workflows and post houses.
- Wednesday 19 Oct 2016 - (94213) 8K is not the future of TV. We think 21:9 Ultra Widescreen is instead. Here's why...
- Saturday 15 Oct 2016 - (38751) Understanding ISO: In digital cameras, it's not what you think it is
- Tuesday 11 Oct 2016 - (22461) RED launches not one, but two 8K cameras [Update - now with product video]
- Saturday 8 Oct 2016 - (14830) The art of Colour Rendering
- Sunday 9 Oct 2016 - (6529) BenQ’s impressive PV3200PT UHD display reviewed
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (1025) What happens when you put a 1000W LED onto a drone?
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (970) The end of shaky video?
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (1235) What Convergent has done with Titan shows the way to capturing all camera angles at once
- Thursday 20 Oct 2016 - (5113) The state of Solid State Drives in 2016
- Thursday 20 Oct 2016 - (1951) Sigma Cine Lenses now shipping